Go Back   Chevy Sonic Owners Forum > Chevy Sonic: Engine > 1.4L Turbo Sonic Engine Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2017, 05:57 AM   #1

Default Only blows heat when on accelerator

So it's rapidly approaching winter time here in the midwest (yay..) and I'm starting to notice this year that my remote start isn't really warming up the car like it did last winter - and when I get to a stop light it will immediately switch from heat to cool air blowing from the vents. I had an issue with the coolant a few months ago bubbling/boiling out and I'm wondering if I didn't actually add enough (but I think I did.)

Any suggestions on what could be causing this? And how I can go about fixing it before the first snowfall..

Thanks, as always!
andrewcweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:48 AM   #2

Garage

Your coolant level may be low.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:39 AM   #3

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewcweaver View Post
So it's rapidly approaching winter time here in the midwest (yay..) and I'm starting to notice this year that my remote start isn't really warming up the car like it did last winter - and when I get to a stop light it will immediately switch from heat to cool air blowing from the vents. I had an issue with the coolant a few months ago bubbling/boiling out and I'm wondering if I didn't actually add enough (but I think I did.)

Any suggestions on what could be causing this? And how I can go about fixing it before the first snowfall..

Thanks, as always!

First . . . the engine is probably low on coolant if you have these symptoms. Means there is air in your coolant and probably in the engine. This can and will cause the cylinder head to warp and leak requiring expensive repairs. it may already be too late.

Um . . if coolant was " bubbling and boiling out " (Where ?), there was likely a coolant leak. The plastic tank, thermostat and it's housing, water pump and various hoses have been known to leak on these engines as they age .. . .. sometimes after even a year or so.

Check the bottom of your coolant tank for hairline cracks and evidence of coolant leaking below other external coolant parts and hoses.

Last edited by JTee2017; 11-14-2017 at 11:48 AM.
JTee2017 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTee2017 View Post
First . . . the engine is probably low on coolant if you have these symptoms. Means there is air in your coolant and probably in the engine. This can and will cause the cylinder head to warp and leak requiring expensive repairs. it may already be too late.

Um . . if coolant was " bubbling and boiling out " (Where ?), there was likely a coolant leak. The plastic tank, thermostat and it's housing, water pump and various hoses have been known to leak on these engines as they age .. . .. sometimes after even a year or so.

Check the bottom of your coolant tank for hairline cracks and evidence of coolant leaking below other external coolant parts and hoses.
After I got the oil change done last, the cap from the reservoir tank came off. I believe they attempted to top off the fluid and didnít put the cap on all the way.
andrewcweaver is offline   Reply With Quote