Go Back   Chevy Sonic Owners Forum > Chevy Sonic: Engine > 1.4L Turbo Sonic Engine Discussion

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tormach

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2017, 06:53 PM   #1

Garage
Default Need help asap

Alrighty guys, Iíve been having this P0299 (low boost) come on for the past three months, and I canít seem to get a solid reason. I clear the code and then itís fine for a week or two, but it seems to trigger when I have low boost mode on, a/c on and am accelerating slowly. Whenever I clear the code and turn on high boost, it wonít show unless Iím cruising and slowly accelerating. It doesnít feel like I have a boost leak, could it be the actuator arm???if so should I look into the BNR one???
Espysonic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:55 PM   #2

Garage

The waste gate actuator arm could be it, could also be the waste gate has to much play.. could be a number of issues with the turbo.

I was having this issue myself, I was eventually able to get the code to stick and got it fixed under GMPP ($0 deductible plan) warranty. If your still under warranty and you have the code permanent but also has not gone to history being it in (Note: I did this after I put everything back to stock). If it goes to history, you have to get it back but will help your cause for getting dealer to replace.

When I was testing mine to see what was causing it, I reverted my car back to stock and was able to get the code to trigger.

While your at it, check you Intake manifold and see if the orange check valve diaphragm missing (if it is missing, A. You need a new intake mani or B. you do the cruze fix). Also check your intake for the turbo for oil blow-by.

Don't go off just from my experience, wait for others to also chime in.

Last edited by Tormach; 12-04-2017 at 07:58 PM.
Tormach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:27 PM   #3

Garage

I can pretty much force it on, I know which characteristics will turn it on, but Iím not under warranty any more either. So that doesnít help me much. If I have my cruise control on and go to accelerate to 55 from 50, using just the electronic switch on the wheel, Iíll pull to 51, then here my bov, and I wonít accelerate any further, even though Iím still holding up on the switch. But that doesnít trigger CEL

It holds full boost constantly when Iím on it, but when Iím at moderate acceleration itíll trigger CEL, or release the boost. Iím so confused because I have no cracks or fractures in my housing, I think the arm is just worn.... Iím at 112k miles, Iíve had it since it was new, and Iíve had the tune for nearly 80k

For the longest time I just figured Iíd need a new turbo? But it seems fine and still builds normal just itíll randomly release sometimes
Espysonic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:11 PM   #4

Garage

Ya, that sounds like the stock waste gate actuator is shot to me. I think the one BNR has would fix that issue.

Ya, Mine was doing the exact same thing. When I was slowly accelerating/cruising and built up boost it would trigger the code once I hit about 18-20 and around 3k-4k rpms.
Espysonic likes this.