Go Back   Chevy Sonic Owners Forum > Chevy Sonic: Engine > 1.8L Sonic Engine Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2017, 01:41 AM   #1

Default 2012 1.8L LT Sedan Burning Smell

Forgive me if this has been answered before and if so, please direct me to the thread. I get this burning smell of oil/rubber/plastic after the car has run a while. Oil level is full (have about 1/2 to go before I need to change the oil again) and the coolant level is down maybe 1" from the seam in the reservoir.

Only thing I noticed was a bit of smoke that you could see by the left headlight (which appeared to be coming from under the hood). It's surely a smell of fluid/plastic/rubber as others have described.

I looked through and found similar threads to this, but I was wondering if anyone else experienced this and what the solution was. I'm leaving for a business trip tomorrow and I plan to have a look underneath on Saturday when I get back home as I want to change the oil in both of my commuter cars to avoid having to do it in the bitter cold .

Thanks for any input as always.
Ponchoguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 12:11 PM   #2
Lead Foot

Garage

when engine is cold, ensure your coolant is RIGHT at the max line.

also when cold, look in that area for signs of a leak, or burnt plastic/tape. It could be something as simple as a wire against your exhaust header...
Old 12-04-2017, 01:05 PM   #3

Garage

I thought mine was coolant from thermostat.might have been oil.leak
allstarchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natesriv View Post
when engine is cold, ensure your coolant is RIGHT at the max line.

also when cold, look in that area for signs of a leak, or burnt plastic/tape. It could be something as simple as a wire against your exhaust header...
Thanks. The level is down about a 1/2" to 3/4" of an inch from the seam in the reservoir. When I drove to work on Monday, the smell wasn't that bad after 22 miles of driving. It was worse the day before for a local run.

I will hopefully have it up on the stands this weekend to do an oil change and have a look around....
Old 12-07-2017, 12:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstarchris View Post
I thought mine was coolant from thermostat.might have been oil.leak
T-stat area looks dry. It's kind of a mixed smell of coolant and oil (it's really hard to tell which it might be by smell in my belief).

Thanks.
Old Yesterday, 02:10 PM   #6

I believe it's engine oil. I borrowed an inspection mirror from someone at work and I can see oil on the splash pan. But, oil filter housing where the plastic cap seats into the metal housing is dry. It appears to be coming from behind/below that and dripping onto the exhaust. I've been reading about some oil pan leakage here and there, and when I ran the mirror from the left to the right of the car underneath the exhaust shield, I did see droplets of oil forming on what appeared to be the oil pan surface/rail area, but I looked quickly.

I will have to have a better look or on the hook it goes to the dealer under warranty again....

Thanks.

Last edited by Ponchoguy; Yesterday at 02:54 PM.