Go Back   Chevy Sonic Owners Forum > Chevy Sonic: Engine > 1.8L Sonic Engine Discussion

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2018, 05:00 PM   #1

Garage
Default Check Engine Light -HELP -1.8L P0496 & P0171 - -Purge Valve or?

Any expert trouble shooters here that can offer a sure way to determine what the issue is?

Daughter has a 2014 Sonic hatch with the 1.8L and about 73,000 miles. The car had the common "slow coolant level" leak. Told her and her hubby to watch for leaks around the T-Stat and housing. 3 weeks later, yup, coolant leak around the upper T-stat near the electrical connection.
But. . the week before just taking it in, she got a CEL. Dealer replaced with new T-Stat for that problem and reset the CEL telling her it was "a loose oil cap".

She picked up the car and CEL came back on. Finally got her over here yesterday and put my scanner on it. Got a P0171 Lean Bank 1 yada-yada, Permanent code, but also P0496 Pending code which may be the evap purge valve from what I read? Can a bad Purge Valve cause a lean condition? I'm thinking maybe if the valve is leaking? Or maybe the ECM just also post the P0171 like it does for so many other issues?

I've read 8 or 10 threads here, but most are on the 1.4L with these codes and the other threads never supplied conclusive info and what the fix was for the original poster.

I also read where it could be a part failing in the Evap Canister or some related solenoid ? But not sure where that part is located. I see where the Purge Valve is on the top rear of the engine. Wondering if I removed the vacuum hose to the purge valve and plugged it, if that would tell if the valve was defective and not stuck open?

Last edited by JTee2017; 01-16-2018 at 08:40 PM.
JTee2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:49 PM   #2

Piece of cake, parking lot job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLkx6uoXhhQ

2015 CHEVROLET SONIC 1.8L L4 Vapor Canister Purge Valve / Solenoid | RockAuto

Last edited by rojoes; 01-16-2018 at 09:51 PM.
rojoes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:55 PM   #3

Garage

Thanks for the reply !

I saw that video and several more. The strange this is, no problem starting after filling the gas tank like most seem to have. No engine stumble, idle is smooth and even, no misses. . . and there is also the P0171 Lean code with it. I checked hose connections for a vacuum leak as good as i could for the little bit of time I had. Maybe just buy the valve and see. It should still be under the emmissions warranty as far as I can tell.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:58 PM   #4

Mine ran fine just threw the code and the dealer said it wasn't covered under emissions warranty..
JTee2017 likes this.
rojoes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:24 PM   #5

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoes View Post
Mine ran fine just threw the code and the dealer said it wasn't covered under emissions warranty..

Thanks very much! Yeah, the car runs fine and no idle problems either. Just the CEL and P0496 and Po171 codes.

Did you get the P0171 code also along with the P0496?
Old 01-17-2018, 04:40 AM   #6

Did you check out the air intake tube after the filter? it was very common on the 1.8l engine in 2012 models.

P0171 1.8L Cracked Intake addressed by Chevy!

Cracked air intake piping
JTee2017 likes this.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:52 PM   #7

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmaris View Post
Did you check out the air intake tube after the filter? it was very common on the 1.8l engine in 2012 models.

P0171 1.8L Cracked Intake addressed by Chevy!

Cracked air intake piping

Yes, thanks. I actually have 2 of those on hand since they seem to prone to cracking. The one on the car still is ok and was replaced last year or so.

I have the Purge Valve on order . Should have it by Friday.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:06 PM   #8

Garage

So, I was having the same issue that was stated in the original post for this discussion. I bought and replaced the purge valve and it completely fixed the problem. I knew it wasn't anything with the air intake as I had bought an after market air intake and didn't have the rubber piece from the filter to the engine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
awesterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:51 PM   #9

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesterman View Post
So, I was having the same issue that was stated in the original post for this discussion. I bought and replaced the purge valve and it completely fixed the problem. I knew it wasn't anything with the air intake as I had bought an after market air intake and didn't have the rubber piece from the filter to the engine.

Yup, received and installed the Purge Valve early last week. Cleared the codes and so far so good. Easy fix, except that electrical connector for the solenod valve on my daughter's Sonic was difficult. There is a little blue plastic slide clip barely visible that needs to me removed. It broke and I had to dig the rest out with a dental pick. Don't know the reason for that extra clip since the connector has a positive snap clip as well. It isn't going anywhere.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:02 PM   #10

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTee2017 View Post
Yup, received and installed the Purge Valve early last week. Cleared the codes and so far so good. Easy fix, except that electrical connector for the solenod valve on my daughter's Sonic was difficult. There is a little blue plastic slide clip barely visible that needs to me removed. It broke and I had to dig the rest out with a dental pick. Don't know the reason for that extra clip since the connector has a positive snap clip as well. It isn't going anywhere.
I had the same problem, broke the blue clip but never dug out the rest. I got that connector off with a flat head screwdriver from the other end of it.

awesterman is offline   Reply With Quote