Go Back   Chevy Sonic Owners Forum > Chevy Sonic: Vendor Forum > Bad News Racing

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2017, 09:59 PM   #11
mja

Garage

The BNR tune and GTX turbo along with all the other ridiculousness on the 1.4, passed emissions in Houston, TX (Harris County). It's not especially easy to pass emissions here either, I've had my share of vehicles fail the test.

Thanks again BNR for saving me headache!
BNRacing likes this.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:05 AM   #12

Wait a minute. I'm in Texas too, I was actually born in Harris County! I'm in El Paso though, anyway, Cats? or no cats? I got a pretty nice scholarship at the end of the semester and was considering upgrading turbos, is it easy to do? Assume that I know how to use a screw driver but not much else, not quite the situation but you know.
JesusTheAgnostic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:15 AM   #13
mja

Garage

Cool! you should check the Gamma II group on facebook (Im not on there), they sometimes come down this way.

It's basically replacing a stock turbo setup. Level of difficulty is around the same as changing a clutch.

It still retains good mpg, ability to pass emissions, and BNR will work with your tune if there are issues. I had a part throttle issue (overboost) and Jerry fixed me right up with a retune. I liked the overboost power lol, but it probs wasnt good for the turbo.

The gameplan was to add in the rear cat if need be to pass emissions, but it didn't need it, passed with no cats.

EDIT: Turns out the loss of power was adjustment of intake tube, cleaning MAF or IAT, or the old cam cover or PCV tube. Did all these things and the car ran well, actually better on the new tune BNR sent.
JesusTheAgnostic and Llia like this.

Last edited by mja; 05-20-2017 at 10:29 PM. Reason: BNR wizardry
mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:34 PM   #14

Nice, I'll ask Facebook when I get home from work. So you really passed with no cats? And here I am freaking out about emissions :d

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
JesusTheAgnostic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:57 PM   #15
mja

Garage

Yes, it passed. The guys at the shop popped the hood after taking it in the garage. The manager came out and took it for a test drive around the block, "brakes and safety test" . He comes back and has his guys do the computer test, I see him walk over near his WRX STI in the lot and have a smoke with a grin on his face. Maybe thats why it passed, Turbo has too much ECO
JesusTheAgnostic and Llia like this.
Old 05-20-2017, 03:12 PM   #16

Finally getting around to loading the BNR tune and installing the LS7 coils. Excited!
Noticed oil grime on the wire harness plug and around the valve cover. 32k and my valve cover is going? Maybe from the tune/mods I've done?
BNR Turbo Upgrade-valve-cover.jpg

Noticed oil down in the plug well area. This is the worst of them.
Thoughts on what all needs to be addressed?
BNR Turbo Upgrade-oil-plug.jpg

And for anyone who's plug wire boots didn't pop off even with the engine warm like the video, this is how I used a set of long needle nose pliers to remove them. Slide the tip down, spread and twist until they break free. Then they slide right out. Chewed up the first one by just pulling on it...
BNR Turbo Upgrade-removing-plug-wire-boot.jpg

Thanks for everyone's help always. I'll update after taking it for a drive.
mja likes this.

Lots 'O Stuff
2014 Blue RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:33 PM   #17
mja

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014 Blue RS View Post
Finally getting around to loading the BNR tune and installing the LS7 coils. Excited!
Noticed oil grime on the wire harness plug and around the valve cover. 32k and my valve cover is going? Maybe from the tune/mods I've done?
Nice, I'm interested to see how you like the part throttle driving, how much it helps.

I just replaced cam cover on mine, for the 3rd time. They warp over time and have small leaks, tightening it down still let it seep a bit of oil. They have those interior baffles which act as a catch can, may not work as well with time, who knows. All I know is I replaced it with the PCV tube and cleaned off some sensors, car runs great.
Llia likes this.