Go Back   Chevy Sonic Owners Forum > Chevy Sonic: Technical > Build Threads

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2017, 01:22 AM   #1

Garage
Default RuD's LittleTurd Sonic

After a deal fell through for a cherry 2015 RS with 7k miles I picked up my 2013 Sonic LT in April 2017 with 63k.
Car came with 1.4 liter turbo engine and 6-speed manual, black, fogs, touchscreen...blah blah.

Love the car. Powers a little less than I was used to after a turbo saturn wagon and ion redline. We'll fix that later.

First mod was ditching the front plate bracket and removing the dealer sticker on the hatch. I'm a sucker for a really clean car.

Dropped the car off the be tinted while in FL. I made sure my tinter did NOT cut the tint around the third brake light. That drives me nuts. 20% all around.

In my mind, an enjoyable car is one that tickles as many senses as possible so i had to hear it and feel it. First mod was a hard pipe to replace the turbo inlet and deleting the snorkel.

Read about the BOV bypass solenoid, so that was an easy mod to complete to help hold on to any power potential the engine had.

Now that i could hear it a little better, i needed the engine to feel less like it was held in place with rubber bands. I made all my engine mounts for the Ion with solid ion control arm bushings. So why not here too. I pulled the tranny torque mount out and cut the rubber bushing out. Throw the empty aluminum carcass in the mill and bored it out till it was flat. Made an aluminum reduced to house the bushing and voila, no engine floppy!

I love a car that handles. ZZP springs and rear sway bar were installed next. Rear took 40 minutes total. Though im a little concerned about the largest diameter coil resting on the heads of the bolt heads. I may take them out and machine them down halfway, or fill in the void around them somehow.

Ditched the rear wiper cause they look anemic.

Friend of mine works at a sign shop and gave me a piece of black vinyl for the exterior logos. Stick on, cut between the gold and chrome with an xacto knife. Perfect edge.

More to come. Possibly ZZP stage 1.0 tune. Some type of exhaust modifications. Solid control arm bushings from the ion, sway bar links, poly sway bar bushings, who knows.

Probably attend an autocross or two this summer.
-RuD

To be continued...
Attached Thumbnails
RuD's LittleTurd Sonic-img_1349.jpg   RuD's LittleTurd Sonic-img_1347.jpg   RuD's LittleTurd Sonic-img_1357.jpg   RuD's LittleTurd Sonic-img_1810.jpg   RuD's LittleTurd Sonic-img_1864.jpg  

TMac and Llia like this.

Last edited by sw2low; 06-18-2017 at 02:29 AM.
sw2low is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 02:35 AM   #2

Garage

More photos as it sits now.
Last picture is me contemplating my next move. Billet aluminum motor mount, removing the stock airbox entirely for a filter in the wheel well and moving the overflow tank in front of the wheel well. We'll see how it goes. The thought is the 3/4" line would be drastically shortened, and the small 1/4" line could run along the firewall to the air fitting that swivels.

-RuD
Attached Thumbnails
RuD's LittleTurd Sonic-img_1944.jpg   RuD's LittleTurd Sonic-img_2096.jpg   RuD's LittleTurd Sonic-img_2095.jpg   RuD's LittleTurd Sonic-img_2098.jpg   RuD's LittleTurd Sonic-img_2109.jpg  

Llia likes this.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:21 AM   #3

Garage

Got my custom sway links installed. Getting the lower stock nuts off are, well, a pain in the nuts

Measured our LCA rear bushings. Unfortunately they are larger diameter than the ball-and-socket ion/cobalt bushings. When my ball joints wear, i'll buy some arms and make a sleeve to allow the solid bushings to be installed.

Took the weekend to remove my intake manifold and grind out the air dams. All i have to say is save up you patients in a jar. You'll need them to finangle the IM. Probably would have been beneficial to disconnect the lower torque mount to allow a bit more space. Anyhow, only took about 20 minutes to grind em down, and an hour to get the damn thing back in. Maybe its in my head, but it feels like it pulls fantastic from 4k up now.

Some Federal 595's in the mail for the front of the car. Autocross this weekend.

-RuD
Attached Thumbnails
RuD's LittleTurd Sonic-img_2472.jpg   RuD's LittleTurd Sonic-img_2471.jpg   RuD's LittleTurd Sonic-img_2627.jpg  
Old 07-11-2017, 02:59 AM   #4

Garage

I want to move my overflow tank as well.

Does your motor shake a lot when idling? Just wondering if it's normal. I've noticed my whole motor and my injen intake moving around a lot more than I'm used to seeing it. I'm hoping it's just a mount going bad and not a bearing.
Llia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw2low View Post
A I made sure my tinter did NOT cut the tint around the third brake light.
I'm not clear on the purpose of this. Do you want cars following you to be less able to know when you are slowing down?
eggsalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 02:01 AM   #6

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggsalad View Post
I'm not clear on the purpose of this. Do you want cars following you to be less able to know when you are slowing down?
Look at any suv that comes tinted from the factory. Light gets out just fine.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:03 AM   #7

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llia View Post
I want to move my overflow tank as well.

Does your motor shake a lot when idling? Just wondering if it's normal. I've noticed my whole motor and my injen intake moving around a lot more than I'm used to seeing it. I'm hoping it's just a mount going bad and not a bearing.
You ask because of the insert in my torque mount? There is one rpm as its comeing down from its warm up that there is a slight vibration. Then when you leave a stop you hit that same rom breifly. It is not very harsh. My engine and intake do not visibly shake however.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:54 AM   #8

Pic of the Overflow Tank's new location Please?
Boy-Dirt-Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 01:41 AM   #9

Garage

Havent done it yet. Have to ditch the stock air box first.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:39 AM   #10

Garage

Final bought a 9$ heat gun at harbor frieght and had a go at removing my nasty door stickers. I had to look at the drivers wrinkled, cracked nastiness everyday.

All went well except the rear pass door had been used as a spray stop for clear coat or something so there was a nice ridge left.
I wet sanded, 1000 then 2000 , then buffed with what i had (wax and a small wheel)

Im pretty satisfied. There seems to be a curve in the door panel now evident at the top of where the stickers were. Oh well.

-RuD
Attached Thumbnails
RuD's LittleTurd Sonic-img_3626.jpg   RuD's LittleTurd Sonic-img_3631.jpg   RuD's LittleTurd Sonic-img_3641.jpg