Go Back   Chevy Sonic Owners Forum > Chevrolet Sonic: General > Chevy Sonic Owners Forum

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2017, 10:26 PM   #11

Fuel mileage varies so much by the way you drive and the traffic of the day.

On the highway, staying close to the speed limits and maintaining a steady speed, you will get nearly the same fuel mileage using the AC as you will driving with the windows down (aerodynamic drag by having the windows open will hurt the mileage about the same as having the air on).

In town, stop light to stop light in heavy stop and go traffic, the AC will have a much more dramatic impact on fuel mileage.

I'm glad that I live in a rural area and it doesn't cost me any more to be comfortable when I drive.

I also rarely run my AC at anything more than position 1 or 2 for any length of time. I might put it on 4 to do a rapid cool down when I first get in - but that's just for 2 - 3 minutes.
The Champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 01:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
Fuel mileage varies so much by the way you drive and the traffic of the day.

On the highway, staying close to the speed limits and maintaining a steady speed, you will get nearly the same fuel mileage using the AC as you will driving with the windows down (aerodynamic drag by having the windows open will hurt the mileage about the same as having the air on).

In town, stop light to stop light in heavy stop and go traffic, the AC will have a much more dramatic impact on fuel mileage.

I'm glad that I live in a rural area and it doesn't cost me any more to be comfortable when I drive.

I also rarely run my AC at anything more than position 1 or 2 for any length of time. I might put it on 4 to do a rapid cool down when I first get in - but that's just for 2 - 3 minutes.
I am driving in the town. It is short distance drive most of time (10 miles round trip). The traffic is not too bad, but the gas is kind of doubled if I turn on the AC.
sdpapet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdpapet View Post
I am driving in the town. It is short distance drive most of time (10 miles round trip). The traffic is not too bad, but the gas is kind of doubled if I turn on the AC.
Very short trips are the worst case scenario for trying to get good fuel economy. Adding the use of AC in this situation only makes it worse.
pbkn1p likes this.
The Champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 12:22 AM   #14

I'm ok with the MPG so far on our new 2017 Sonic RS Hatchback 1.8L auto trans.

About 550 miles now and only on second fill up. We did some city driving on the first tank and also took it on a couple of short 75 to 150 mile state highway with some interstate jaunts and DIC showed 35.4MPG and up to 38 for awhile. When I filled up it hand calculated for the first tank 34.8 MPG.

Drove around town most of 10 days and DIC showed between 27 and 28MPG.
This second tank full is more city driving and showing 28.4 MPG.

All of these are with A/C on most of the time since it has been in the upper 80's to 90's the past 10 days or so.

Last edited by JTee2017; 09-29-2017 at 12:06 AM.
JTee2017 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 12:37 AM   #15

Garage

The variation in fuel mileage for this car is quite extreme. This thing can be an absolute pig in the wrong conditions.

I have gotten as much as 46 mpg on the highway, in moderate weather, doing the speed limit(100kph), no A/C. Premium fuel.

A recent trip travelling 370 km, 95% highway, during 40* weather, A/C running, doing the speed limit (100kph), I only netted 29.5 mpg. Premium fuel.

Funny thing is, my Corvette in 40* weather,travelling 420 km, 95% highway, no A/C, doing between 120 kph-160 kph I got 30mpg. Yep, my corvette can achieve better fuel mileage going faster.
pbkn1p likes this.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:17 PM   #16

What you said is exactly I described. YOur Corvette is 5.7 L engine? right? My sonic is 1.8L. Whenever I turn on the AC, the mileage per gallon decreases significantly. I know small engine has this kind of problem, but AC shouldn't cause so much gas. I kind of think if this is Sonic engine designing bugs?

Has anyone driven other brand of eco-cars like Versa? Does it have the same problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 View Post
The variation in fuel mileage for this car is quite extreme. This thing can be an absolute pig in the wrong conditions.

I have gotten as much as 46 mpg on the highway, in moderate weather, doing the speed limit(100kph), no A/C. Premium fuel.

A recent trip travelling 370 km, 95% highway, during 40* weather, A/C running, doing the speed limit (100kph), I only netted 29.5 mpg. Premium fuel.

Funny thing is, my Corvette in 40* weather,travelling 420 km, 95% highway, no A/C, doing between 120 kph-160 kph I got 30mpg. Yep, my corvette can achieve better fuel mileage going faster.
sdpapet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 05:39 AM   #17

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdpapet View Post
What you said is exactly I described. YOur Corvette is 5.7 L engine? right? My sonic is 1.8L. Whenever I turn on the AC, the mileage per gallon decreases significantly. I know small engine has this kind of problem, but AC shouldn't cause so much gas. I kind of think if this is Sonic engine designing bugs?

Has anyone driven other brand of eco-cars like Versa? Does it have the same problem?
Yes it's 5.7L.

Any car with A/C loses gas mileage from the compressor turning on. I think it's just more pronounced in smaller engine vehicles because the engine has to work much harder than a V8 to turn the compressor.

There is more to it than just the A/C as well. The Corvette is a very efficient design. It has a lower drag co-efficient, longer 6th gear, is fairly light (3200 lbs) and has a engine is more powerful and doesn't have to work as hard. The longer 6th gear makes a big difference. At 160kph it's turning 2000rpm, where the sonic is turning 2000 rpm at 100kph.