Go Back   Chevy Sonic Owners Forum > Chevy Sonic: Technical > Do-It-Yourself Articles

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Sonic Attack
  • 2 Post By 6speedti
  • 1 Post By haroldc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2016, 02:33 AM   #1

Garage
Default Cruze Dual Tone Horn Install

The Chevy Cruze dual tone horn (Chevrolet GM OEM 11-14 Cruze-Horn 94526131) install was almost literally a plug 'n play deal. Both the Sonic & Cruze horns use the same 2 wire connector. After removing the (5) inner fender attaching screws and pulling back the inner fender, I removed the OEM Sonic "bleat-bleat" horn. The only mod I had to make to the Cruze horn assembly was to grind off the locating tab on the Cruze mounting bracket, since it was larger than Sonic tab locating hole. This also allowed a bit more flexibility in locating the Cruze horn assembly in the somewhat confined quarters of the Sonic inner fender area. The only fiddly bit is that one needs to plug the Sonic horn harness into the Cruze horn assembly before wiggling it into position to be bolted up to the OEM Sonic attachment point. (it also helps to have metric sized arms...my SAE sized meathooks would barely fit into the inner fender area) Now the Sonic sounds like it has a real car horn, instead of something adapted from a Thai tuk-tuk.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:20 PM   #2

Garage

Ditto..I did this the other weekend. The cruze horn is like 22$ and it's plug and play with the exception of the metal tab on the cruze bracket..it did not line up where the sonic tab went. I just bent it back with a pair of pliers.
Ditto on plugging it in before mounting it...it tried for a while without doing that and could not line up the connector.
It does sound better...louder. I think the stock sonic horn is a safety issue..I wonder if there is a minimum loudness a horn is allowed to be.
RMinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:30 PM   #3

I removed the lame OEM horn. I installed two Fiamm freeway blasters on the left side and added another matching pair on the right side. I bought a gm repair plug to tap into the existing plug and used a relay to power all four horns. Now those dumb ass south Florida obnoxious drivers can here my horns.
gijoefontaine and pbkn1p like this.
6speedti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 05:25 PM   #4
Lead Foot

Garage

Good idea!
I bought these at Advance Auto (the low note and high note)... so much better than OEM.
I did have to run wires to mount on the passenger side, but no biggie... used a relay as well... nice to have a horn(s) that doesn't sound wimpy

Wolo Horn Universal Low Tone 310-2T: Advance Auto Parts
Old 12-27-2016, 06:54 AM   #5

Garage

Finally got my horn in the mail. Thanks for the write up can't wait to put it in

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
gijoefontaine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:28 AM   #6

Default 2016 Sonic horn location...

So I did this replacement on my brand new 2016 Sonic Sedan, just as an FYI there are a lot of threads on this replacement but nothing newer than about 2014. The Cruze horn is still a direct plug and play however the biggest difference at least doing this on a sedan is the horn location, on my vehicle the horn was not located on the drivers side, its actually on the passenger side. Learned this after pulling the driver side tire and wheel well down and not being able to locate the horn. Thought others may find this information beneficial.
TurtleOverlord likes this.
haroldc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:56 AM   #7

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldc View Post
So I did this replacement on my brand new 2016 Sonic Sedan, just as an FYI there are a lot of threads on this replacement but nothing newer than about 2014. The Cruze horn is still a direct plug and play however the biggest difference at least doing this on a sedan is the horn location, on my vehicle the horn was not located on the drivers side, its actually on the passenger side. Learned this after pulling the driver side tire and wheel well down and not being able to locate the horn. Thought others may find this information beneficial.
On my 2017 hatchback I can see the horn looking downward on the passenger side engine bay near the front fender cavity. Can't reach down, so will have to loosen the fender liner , but at least I can see the one horn from above.
JTee2017 is offline   Reply With Quote