Go Back   Chevy Sonic Owners Forum > Chevy Sonic: Technical > Do-It-Yourself Articles

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Parkourohm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2017, 01:53 AM   #1

Default A/c Evaporator Sensor Location

Hello Everyone,

So, I have a bad evaporator sensor. Mobile mechanic I had out told me I would have to take out the dash to get it removed. When I called Chevy they told me that if it was just the sensor then there is a port to reach the sensor (the actual evaporator would require dash removal. They sent me a diagram to show the location of the sensor.
I'm a complete beginner to reading the diagrams, but from what I am seeing, I have no idea where to find this sensor. When I take off the glove compartment the blower is right in front of me taking up basically the entire opening, if I am reading this diagram correctly that would put the sensor pretty far off the the left which would be where the radio console is, I don't see how I could possibly reach anything over there without removing a lot of things. Any ideas? Thanks! Here is one of the diagrams online, I got one that is way more in depth and shows everything taken apart, but I can't get it to upload to under 19kb (what kind of a limit is that?)
the link is Chevrolet Sonic Repair Manual: Evaporator Air Temperature Sensor Replacement (LHD) - Cooling - HVAC
Parkourohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 01:35 PM   #2

Garage

Looking at the diagram, it is on the drivers side.

You should be able to gain access by removing the access panel (center console extension panel) on the drivers side. The image I linked is showing the passengers side but should be the same. The senor looks to be sitting at about steering wheel height.

Chevrolet Sonic Repair Manual: Front Floor Console Extension Replacement - Right Side - Center Console - Body Interior - Body

GL, if your still having trouble locating it, when I get off work ill open it up on mine and take a few pics.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:20 PM   #3

Ok, Pretty sure I got it, was really easy to get to, You don't have to take off the panel. Like you said it was near the steering wheel height. You twist and it comes out, haven't unhooked it yet from the wire harness, going to wait till I get the replacement in. Thanks a lot. I kept staring at the blower and trying to figure out how to reach that area, guess I was just in brain panic mode on having to go pay $200 at chevy to replace a $20 part.
Again thanks! Hopefully this thread helps anyone else with the same problem in the future, i tagged it appropriately to make it easy to find.
Tormach likes this.
Parkourohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:30 PM   #4

Garage

Awesomeness

Good to know in the even it ever happens.

Tags
evaporator sensor, hvac, sensor