Go Back   Chevy Sonic Owners Forum > Chevy Sonic: Technical > Do-It-Yourself Articles

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 12:00 AM   #1

Garage
Default engine check on after change muffler

Just install custome exhaust header with the free flow muffler.. After 2 days, engine check turn on and went to dealer for scan.. Says no communication with the radio and then clear it riteaway..

And just now, it pop up again.. :hammer

Anyone have the same situation like me?

Cheers!

My Aveo's journey..
http://www.sonicownersforum.com/foru...ld-thread.html
jetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:40 AM   #2

Garage

If you installed a custom header and got rid of the 1st catalytic converter then a "catalyst effeciency below threshold" (P0420) would likely pop up.

I'm not sure I've ever heard of a radio communication error resulting in a Check engine light. Namely because the radio does not have anything to do with emmsions or engine performance...... which are the only things that cause a CEL.

Get the code scanned and cleared again and be sure to get the fualt code. Eg P0150, P0420, P0... and then tell us what that is. I've no idea what it could be if it stored a radio fualt for a CEL.
GeneralZod likes this.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:45 AM   #3

Garage

This reminds me of the story of the muffler sensor and blinker fluid. It was an epic saga of tragic comedy.

Hella Stock
GeneralZod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:56 AM   #4
also a dinner prick

Garage

On a side note "muffler bearing" is an actual part. I believe its BMW that calls a muffler hanger a bearing on some model of car.

1.8L 5MT
mitdr774 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:04 AM   #5

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitdr774 View Post
On a side note "muffler bearing" is an actual part. I believe its BMW that calls a muffler hanger a bearing on some model of car.
I believe MB did something similar. Reduced drone, vibration, and made a cool rattling sound hitting bumps...

Hella Stock
GeneralZod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:51 AM   #6

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sx sonic View Post
If you installed a custom header and got rid of the 1st catalytic converter then a "catalyst effeciency below threshold" (P0420) would likely pop up.

I'm not sure I've ever heard of a radio communication error resulting in a Check engine light. Namely because the radio does not have anything to do with emmsions or engine performance...... which are the only things that cause a CEL.

Get the code scanned and cleared again and be sure to get the fualt code. Eg P0150, P0420, P0... and then tell us what that is. I've no idea what it could be if it stored a radio fualt for a CEL.
yes, i got rid the 1st catalytic and install the sensor on the header.. so actually i replaced the header on sunday and came to the muffler on Thursday. first 3 day went smooth, no light pop up... but after i change the muffler, there goes the light. haha.

the guys for the dealer were kinda confused because of the diag result.. bit strange coz radio comm doest not related with it..It instantly vanished after they clear it.. however, it pop up again just earlier today..

anychance it caused by the higher flow on the sensor?

Cheers!

My Aveo's journey..
Old 04-18-2013, 01:52 AM   #7

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralZod View Post
This reminds me of the story of the muffler sensor and blinker fluid. It was an epic saga of tragic comedy.
Haha...

any idea or suggestion what to do to "work" the 02 sensor with this free flow muffler?

My Aveo's journey..
Old 04-18-2013, 02:33 AM   #8

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetta View Post
Haha...

any idea or suggestion what to do to "work" the 02 sensor with this free flow muffler?
You'll have to go to a Delorean dealer and special order a "flux capacitor" and wire that into the muffler sensor.

That should improve the running condition and increase horsepower. If the light comes back on just go 88mph and it will clear the CEL for awhile ;p
Old 04-18-2013, 03:07 AM   #9

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sx sonic View Post
You'll have to go to a Delorean dealer and special order a "flux capacitor" and wire that into the muffler sensor.

That should improve the running condition and increase horsepower. If the light comes back on just go 88mph and it will clear the CEL for awhile ;p
Haha... nice idea! delorean just right beside your place?
sx sonic likes this.

My Aveo's journey..
Old 04-18-2013, 04:35 AM   #10

Garage

On a serious note I am assuming the sensor you transferred to the new header was the 1st oxygen sensor (O2). This sensor is responsible for meauring Oxygen content in the exhuast and the Computer adjust fuel trims richer or leaner based on what the 1st O2 sensor reports.

As long as that sensor is installed so the tip of the sensor is well exposed to exhuast gasses it should be good.

I do not suspect that to be the cause of your CEL

As mentioned earlier it is very likely that the 2nd O2 sensor is reporting an increase in emmissions because of the lack of a catalytic converter. This usually causes a P0420 "catalyst effeciency" fualt and sometimes a few other fualts.

Most of the members on here that have installed catless downpipes on their turbo 1.4's did not get a Check Engine Light until several hundred miles later. For me it was about 200 miles before the CEL came on.

That is likely why it took so long for the light to come on after installing the new header and that it coming on after installing the muffler is pure coincidence. As for why the light came on sooner after being cleared it is something I have noticed on mine as well. After installing catless exhuast ~200miles until light, clear CEL and it pops up 60mi later each subsequent time.

If this is infact the reason for your CEL then there are only 3 fixes. 1. Install a header with a cat/stock header. 2. Getting a tune/reprogram for the ECM (search "trifecta tune" here on the forum. Or 3. There are O2 sensor spacers that move the 2nd O2 sensor out of the exhuast stream and are supposed to delay or eliminate a CEL from a missing catalytic converter. I've had no expierence with these thou..

I genuinely think the dealer missed something on this one because what they told you does not sound logical and what you describe sounds exactly like what I would expect from a catless header.