Go Back   Chevy Sonic Owners Forum > Chevy Sonic: Technical > Exterior Modifications

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2017, 04:05 PM   #11

High beams and fogs...

If you're looking to go for brighter high beams, the stock 9005 bulb can be replaced with a 9011 HIR bulb, like this one. Note, these are HIR halogen bulbs, not HID. These bulbs are rated at 2350 lumens in comparison to the stock 1700 lumens. The modification is similar to the H11 to H9 conversion above.

Stock fog light bulbs are H8 which are rated at a pathetic 35 watts each. H8's can also be "upgraded" to either H11 or H9 in the same method as above. The wiring in our cars can handle the upgraded wattage to the H11 bulb (55 watts), however our housings do not like it. Hence the parentheses around the word "upgraded". I installed some during testing and after about 15 minutes with them on in the driveway I started to experience a slight discoloration of the reflector just above the bulb. I reinstalled the H8 bulbs. How bad would the discoloration get after being on for hours at night? I wasn't about to wreck my fogs while finding out.
MTNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 04:52 PM   #12

So I haven't compare the base of the h9 vs. h11. Do we just trim some plastic of the bulb base so it fits in the housing (preferred.) Or do we trim the housing? Assuming it doesn't need much to make it fit either way.

Can anyone show a pic of this that has done it?

Lots 'O Stuff
2014 Blue RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014 Blue RS View Post
So I haven't compare the base of the h9 vs. h11. Do we just trim some plastic of the bulb base so it fits in the housing (preferred.) Or do we trim the housing? Assuming it doesn't need much to make it fit either way.

Can anyone show a pic of this that has done it?
One piece of plastic and one small tab of metal must be trimmed off the bulb. No modification to the housing is necessary. After trimming the bulb base and socket, it fits in the housing just like the stock H11 bulb.

I don't have any pics of my own install.
2014 Blue RS likes this.
MTNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:52 PM   #14

Didn't see earlier pics. Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Lots 'O Stuff
Old 05-17-2017, 02:42 AM   #15
mja

Garage

If you have fogs, forget the main beams and invest in a pair of VLED *SMZ fog lights. Plug & play, brighter than HID's, and help out a ton in close up to mid range lighting, best 200$ in lighting you'll spend.

Last edited by mja; 05-17-2017 at 08:22 PM. Reason: *
mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:40 AM   #16
MaD

Garage

Pics? Or stats on the LED's?? I was thinkin of goin LED's but some of the ones I've seen have been less than expected...

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Groove likes this.

1.4 LT Turbo AT 6PD w/spring promo package
Finding more green to put on my car
MaD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 04:06 AM   #17

They were not VLEDS but I did try LED fog lights. They were so bright it hurt to look at them but couldn't tell they were on from inside the car. Weirdest thing.
Groove likes this.

Lots 'O Stuff
Old 05-17-2017, 01:32 PM   #18
mja

Garage

*SMZ LED fogs:

PIAA halogen fogs:

The upper beam spread are very pricey 35w HID's. Top of the line stuff from theretrofitsource. Stock haologens vs these were night and day.

You can see the fog lights here, the lower beam pattern, are much brighter. HIDs + halogen fogs, vs HIDs and quality LED fogs are no comparison.

I actually bought their last year model *SMZ's for 130$ on their black friday sale last year, they usually go for 200$.

...that triangle shaped pattern above the cutoff is from the LED's in the Halogen housings. The lights are too bright for the optics, but they're probs okay on the street. If running main beam LED's you'd definitely need better optics or would be blinding people.

Last edited by mja; 05-17-2017 at 08:22 PM. Reason: *
mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 01:41 PM   #19
mja

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014 Blue RS View Post
They were not VLEDS but I did try LED fog lights. They were so bright it hurt to look at them but couldn't tell they were on from inside the car. Weirdest thing.
Ya they're really bright, with the fogs on, driving about 30mph around the neighborhood, it makes a huge difference.

With HID's there's a more concentrated hot spot near the cutoff, so there may be more of a void in the closer ranges than halogens. No doubt these things would still light up the world with my old halogens.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:22 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
If you have fogs, forget the main beams and invest in a pair of VLED *SMZ fog lights. Plug & play, brighter than HID's, and help out a ton in close up to mid range lighting, best 200$ in lighting you'll spend.
Were these the ones you got?

MICRO LED HEADLIGHT 5K / 6K H11 H16 H8 H9 - H11 H8 H9 - Low Beam Headlights - Shop Application
Mzooski44 is offline   Reply With Quote