Go Back   Chevy Sonic Owners Forum > Chevrolet Sonic: General > Factory Specifications

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2013, 02:14 AM   #1

Default Remote Trunk Open

I've got the 2013 Sonic LS 4 door sedan, and have power locks and trunk release, with the key fob that came with the car. It's not an aftermarket or after purchase install.

Anyway, it's happened at least three times in the month I've owned the car. I look outside, and the trunk is popped open. All these times I've noticed, they key fob has been in my pocket. Could be a pocket press, but it seems strange that it's only the trunk button that would get pressed. (To be fair, if the lock or unlock door buttons got pressed, I probably wouldn't notice.) But that sensitive?

My trunk might open while I'm at work, leaving the car vulnerable and inviting to vandalize or raid. I'm constantly looking outside now to check on the car! Has this happened to anyone else, or is there any info in this "problem" if it is indeed one? I just have a hard time believing that the key fob buttons are getting pressed simply by sitting in my pocket, with nothing else in there. I keep two house keys on the same key ring that the key fob is on, and that's it. Nothing else is in that pocket except that one key ring.

If anyone has had this happen (and possibly as often as I've mentioned), or has heard of this, I'd like to hear about it. Otherwise, I may have to call the dealer. Or first, stop carrying my keys in my pocket, perhaps.
2FR35H likes this.
Paradox-db3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:35 AM   #2

Garage

There is a TechLink bulletin on this subject. There is a 2x trunk release relay that can be installed that requires two simultaneous button pushes to open the trunk. Scroll down to page 5 of the pdf on the link below.

http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/wp-co...ink-2013-F.pdf
Paradox-db3 likes this.
2009 Silverado 5.3 LT 4x4 ext. cab
2004 Pontiac GTO 5.7 LS1 6-sp. manual

Last edited by Papasonic; 06-16-2013 at 03:12 AM.
Papasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:51 AM   #3

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox-db3 View Post
I've got the 2013 Sonic LS 4 door sedan, and have power locks and trunk release, with the key fob that came with the car. It's not an aftermarket or after purchase install.

Anyway, it's happened at least three times in the month I've owned the car. I look outside, and the trunk is popped open. All these times I've noticed, they key fob has been in my pocket. Could be a pocket press, but it seems strange that it's only the trunk button that would get pressed. (To be fair, if the lock or unlock door buttons got pressed, I probably wouldn't notice.) But that sensitive?

My trunk might open while I'm at work, leaving the car vulnerable and inviting to vandalize or raid. I'm constantly looking outside now to check on the car! Has this happened to anyone else, or is there any info in this "problem" if it is indeed one? I just have a hard time believing that the key fob buttons are getting pressed simply by sitting in my pocket, with nothing else in there. I keep two house keys on the same key ring that the key fob is on, and that's it. Nothing else is in that pocket except that one key ring.

If anyone has had this happen (and possibly as often as I've mentioned), or has heard of this, I'd like to hear about it. Otherwise, I may have to call the dealer. Or first, stop carrying my keys in my pocket, perhaps.
I have the same problem too!! I've tried to press the trunk release button really quick just to see how long it takes to open the trunk with the remote, and it's like a second! One thing I wish they did with this car is put a trunk release button inside the car... also, some cars will honk twice if you lock the car with the remote and the trunk is open... I wish they did that with this car.
Paradox-db3 likes this.
IhaveaSonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:54 AM   #4

Ihaveasonic....was the key fob in your pocket as well when it happened?
Old 06-16-2013, 08:09 AM   #5

Garage

Quote:
This happens to me as well. And idk if itit's in my pocket. It half is half isn't. I put the key in my pocket, walk inside set it on my window seal. Look an hour later and my trunk is open. Idk when it opens though
MPFab Intercooler Kit
CM FX400 Clutch n Aluminum Flywheel
Synapse Synchronic BOV
DDM Intake
DDM Block Off Plate
ZZP Catless Downpipe
ZZP Midpipe
ZZP Rear cat delete pipe
ZZP Catback no res/ Magnaflow Muffler
TTR Upper Engine Mount
TTR Lower Mount
Eibach Pro Kit
Vaccume Line Reroute
ICW Racing Rims 17in
Nitto Neogen Tires
Ultragauge
15% tint all around
Blacked out emblems

Sweeerrrve!

Last edited by SONIC1.4; 06-16-2013 at 08:11 AM.
SONIC1.4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:04 PM   #6
Banned

I've come back out to the car to find mine open a time or two as well. Fortunately I only keep some assorted car care products in the trunk.

It's good to see this can be fixed, though the process is a bit more intrusive than I would prefer. I don't like to have wiring hacked up. Will this be a customer pay sort of item or if we complain they'll do it for us for free? Any ideas on how much labor if we have to pay?

BTW, a trunk release button is coming in 2014. They're deleting the gimmicky power child locks and putting the switch for the trunk release in its place on the console. I bought a Sonic a few months too soon..
ColonelPanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:24 PM   #7

Garage

Ive done it as well. Ive just learned to keep my keys out of my pocket. Havnt had an issue since.
Paradox-db3 likes this.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelPanic View Post
BTW, a trunk release button is coming in 2014. They're deleting the gimmicky power child locks and putting the switch for the trunk release in its place on the console. I bought a Sonic a few months too soon..
I actually really like the power child locks. I've used that button many times. But I have two girls, 7 and 4, and my 4 year old once opened her door after I was already in the driver's seat, ready to drive away. Using the locks prevents that, and then when it's time to drop my 7 year old off at school, I just unlock, so she can get out, and then lock again so that my 4 year old won't be able to open her door until we get home. As far as the trunk opening, I think it should be a recall item, if you ask me.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Yeah, it was in my pocket. I think it's because the trunk release button on the remote is so sensitive and it gets pushed sometimes... I've seen cars where you have to hold down the button for like 3 seconds and then the trunk will pop.

That's cool that they're putting in a button to open the trunk inside the car... I wonder why they didn't originally do that.
IhaveaSonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:54 AM   #10

Garage

At least your trunk opens, mine won't lol, I took it to the dealer and said my latch mech. was buggered. I asked the service advisor how he was going to unlatch my trunk to replace the bad assy. He was not exactly sure when he replied "leave it to us, that's nou your problem".