Last edited:

mitdr774

also a dinner prick

sx sonic

TheLorax

Hypurr

$ub$onic

The Sticker Guy
I saw this and then did a youtube search for iihs sonic. Anyone else do the same? The side airbags look like they deploy VERY late.

Yes, I watched it a few days ago. Youtube link: 2013 Chevrolet Sonic small overlap IIHS crash test - YouTube

IIHS test results page for Sonic small overlap test: IIHS-HLDI: Chevrolet Sonic

The curtain air bags deploying late - AFTER the dummy's head was on the outside - is a bit concerning. The whole point of a curtain air bag is to protect the occupant's head from hard objects and they will do nothing for the occupant in this scenario. I hope that GM will conduct further testing on this and release some updated SRS programming if it is needed.

The leg injury potential from the gigantic dash in these cars doesn't surprise me either. It's a bit intrusive on the lower extremities even when the chassis isn't mangled.

This is a very difficult test to pass and has exposed all kinds of inadequacies of vehicles from expensive luxury cars on down. Even some brand new designs have been terrible - see new Forte, Rav4, etc. When I saw these results trickle in over the last few months, I figured the Sonic may have some "opportunities."

Anyway, if you want to feel better about the Sonic's performance, I'd recommend watching the videos of the Soul. :banana:

sx sonic

Thaifight-R

Pika Pii!!!

tubnotub1

Last edited:

AndrewGS

Ultimo Hombre

ChrisJ

ChrisJ

13TurboLTZ

sx sonic