Go Back   Chevy Sonic Owners Forum > Chevrolet Sonic: General > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2012, 04:22 AM   #1

Default Rear head rest removal

Just got our Hatchback 1.4, and our Golden Retriever insists that the rear seats be folded down all the time. The rear headrests block storage in the rear foot wells. Owners manual says they are not designed to be removed, and they don't just pull off when you push the button. Has anyone found a way to remove them without getting massively destructive?
corprimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:57 AM   #2

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by corprimo View Post
Just got our Hatchback 1.4, and our Golden Retriever insists that the rear seats be folded down all the time. The rear headrests block storage in the rear foot wells. Owners manual says they are not designed to be removed, and they don't just pull off when you push the button. Has anyone found a way to remove them without getting massively destructive?
I've found that they come right off. Theres a little detent that will release the posts. Mine are sitting on my dining room table right now.
2011 Black Impala LT
1997 Toreador Red Lincoln Mk VIII
MGDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:47 AM   #3

Thanks Michael - Not just the obvious button, but the subtle one on the other side as well! Kodiak, our Golden, is also appreciative!
corprimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:23 AM   #4

Garage

I thought I was the only one! Mine will be removed tomorrow. Maybe the weight savings will make me faster!!
wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:13 PM   #5

I did not remove mine until after Thanksgiving weekend, preoccupied as I was about changing rims and tires then completing all my holiday visits. They removed as described above, very easily.

I keep them in the car just in case. They go on just as easily as they come off.
No unusual force required at all.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #6

I think I'll remove mine too. I never have rear passengers, and having to move front seats around to fold them up/down gets kinda old.

2012 Chevrolet Sonic - 1LT 1.4T M6
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 - Cummins Turbo Diesel
Gimpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:58 PM   #7

Garage

I just took ours out, put them in the rear seat passenger foot well. If we ever have passengers I will put them back in. Thanks for the hint on how to remove them!
Blue Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:12 AM   #8
206hp/212 ft-lbs (flywhl)

Garage

I haven't removed the rear headrests, but I did take the front ones out and reverse them. Sounds like the same trick; a detent on the Other post, rather that the one that lets you adjust height.

I may remove the rear ones, since I use the car interchangeably as a cargo and passenger vehicle, and the rear headrests interfere with smoothly moving the seatbacks flat and back upright.

Is removing them a safety concern, a comfort concern, or just a looks concern? I could carry them around and reinstall them for passengers, but that would be just as annoying as having to fiddle with the front seats in order to change the rear seat positioning.
Swordsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:47 PM   #9

In my sedan, I removed the rear head rests (called head restraints, actually) so that I could see more easily behind me when reversing. They caused blind spots for me, and with them removed, I have much better visibility when backing up. I was worried about possibly not seeing a person in a parking lot.
TheGreatAndPowerfulOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:08 PM   #10

Garage

I did the same thing in my sedan, they currently reside in the spare wheel well with my front plate bracket and the tire inflation kit.
ThatTmoGuy is offline   Reply With Quote