Go Back   Chevy Sonic Owners Forum > Chevrolet Sonic: General > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2017, 10:36 PM   #1

Default Passenger Air Bag not activating.

Hey guys, need some advice. My Airbag readiness light is staying on in my 2013 Sonic. And I can't get a sticker. It's not throwing an engine code, but an airbag light on will fail inspection in mass.

I took the seat out to check the connection under the seat, it's clean and tight.

I've already checked the knee airbag connection(common problem on Chevy Cruze) and it's tight. I checked the ground/ground nut and it's tight. I didn't open the airbag, but how do I tell if the airbag is bad? I did get the light to go off, but I realized the wire wasn't in right, and I had to unplug it, remove the airbag to slide the wire back in right, and reconnect it, and now it won't go off. Is this the knee airbag that has faulted? Is there a voltage or a resistance reading that these can be bench tested to see what failed?

I think it's the passenger air bag(one of them), because the little yellow light in the console shows the passenger airbag isn't on, no matter how much weight is on the seat. Unless someone here has something to add to the contrary?

There's a lot of threads on the site, but no one has posted a solution, that they found fixed the light.

HELP!?

I'm at the point it'd unplug the light, if I could. But there's probably a fail safe to prevent that.

Last edited by JKimSonic; 05-16-2017 at 11:43 PM.
JKimSonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 12:53 PM   #2
Lead Foot

Garage

So is the dash giving a warning light about the airbag? Or is the center console light showing off, and won't go to ON when someone sits there?
Old 05-18-2017, 08:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natesriv View Post
So is the dash giving a warning light about the airbag? Or is the center console light showing off, and won't go to ON when someone sits there?

Both!

But when the dash light goes out(turns off), all of a suddent the passenger side airbag on the center console will switch to on. Temporarily. If the person moves too much, or you get out and back in, it resets and the dash light stays on.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:45 AM   #4

Garage

The fail safe for the unplugging the light is the fact the light should come on to indicate the light is working, then turn off the indicate there is no trouble. So any removal of the light would have to install a secondary light to take it's place and activate when the car or key is in the right position and then shut off after a set interval.

what about the airbag in the seat itself? It's in the side bolster

Last edited by Llia; 05-19-2017 at 09:31 AM.
Llia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llia View Post

The fail safe for the unplugging the light is the fact the light should come on to indicate the light is working, then turn off the indicate there is no trouble. So any removal of the light would have to install a secondary light to take it's place and activate when the car or key is in the right position and then shut off after a set interval.

what about the airbag in the seat itself? It's in the side bolster

Most small local inspection places aren't going to notice that. But it does appear they are just cheap automotive bulbs, and it could be unplugged. At least I don't have to see the light anymore.

All the connections under the seat are tight. How do I check that airbag? Her base level seats dont really have bolsters, at least not like in luxury style cars.

Is there a way besides taking it to chevy, to find out where the fault is?
Old 05-19-2017, 08:53 PM   #6

Garage

https://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/so...alkaround.html
Llia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 01:15 AM   #7

I've checked the vin of my car, it's not currently covered under a recall. :/