Go Back   Chevy Sonic Owners Forum > Chevrolet Sonic: General > General Discussion

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2017, 03:18 PM   #1

Garage
Unhappy Chirping sound from dash, convinced its HVAC fan

Hi all!

I'm a really new Sonic owner, and I love my car so far except for this one nagging issue! I've been having an intermittent "chirp" sound coming from my dash. I initially thought HVAC fan, so I brought it to my Chevy dealer and they kept it for 3 days because they couldn't reproduce it. So naturally, they dismissed my theory immediately.

Ended up changing my air filter (it was in backwards?) and said they thought the noise was because my timing belt cover was loose on all 4 bolts. So they fixed that, and sent me home with a bill since that stuff was not covered by either my power train warranty or my vehicle protection plan because it was considered "maintenance" repairs. (grrr).

Fast forward to 2 days after I get it back, and I'm hearing the noise again!!!! It happened this morning on my way to work, so I played with the fan a little while it was happening. It's definitely the HVAC fan, because when I turn it off I can actually hear the noise winding down with the fan.

So now I'm frustrated because I don't want my car to be in the shop AGAIN, only to be told they can't reproduce it and charge me another fee. It's in the middle of winter and the last thing I want is for my fan to go out! Any advice is welcome, I'm not sure what I should do now.
Zapps98 likes this.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:21 PM   #2

Garage

My fan was noisey for about 2 years, and I just let it be. They are known to get noisey. I would contact chevy customer service regarding your dealership visit. It would be a comeback it you came in for the same problem, so it would be on them if they can find nothing wrong.
Zapps98 and nerfworthy like this.

2017 Mosaic Black 1.4L Auto RS Premier Hatch

GM lowering kit

Upcoming:

ZZP Catback - 2nd cat delete
MPFab Intake
BNR Tune
Hectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 05:24 PM   #3

Garage

Thanks for the advice! I decided to call the guy I'd been working with and let him know whats going on. They are going to order the fan motor and bill it to my extended warranty, and if there's a deductible they are going to take care of it for me!
Zapps98 likes this.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:31 PM   #4

Mine seems to be doing the same thing, coming from the passenger window vent. Let me know what they come up with at the dealership.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Zapps98 and nerfworthy like this.
AlphaWhiskeyPapa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:50 AM   #5

Garage

Iím having the exact same problem! Itís definitely coming on the passenger side, happens when air is hot & cold, and slows down with the speed of the fan when I turn down the vent power.
nerfworthy likes this.
Zapps98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:33 AM   #6

Garage

This is gonna sound really crazy guys, but I had a similar noise problem, and I swore up and down it was AC related because at idle with the fan off, I wouldnít hear it, but when I turned the fan on I got a crystal clear chirp, and I couldnít tell where... tore everything apart and cleaned my hoses, replaced the hvac and still was there... this is gonna sound dumb but... it was actually a loose spark plug causing the chirp, it had burned my coil pack as well, if youíre not checking for correct torqued plugs, and making sure your coil boots look fine, please start doing that every 5k miles or so. It takes 5 minutes flat, and you can do it when you change your oil. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zapps98 likes this.
Espysonic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:34 PM   #7

Garage

I managed to take a few videos of the sound happening to show the mechanic. I also have a new symptom of a weird mechanical noise happening if I shut off the car with the fan running. Please see them here!

Mechanical noise:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1b-...iQiVkn7MKDPUQ_

Chirpy cricket while air is running:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=14m...mOwLTJI5EOMPRm
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eJ...9YUoAWIKW1OFoX
Zapps98 likes this.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:20 PM   #8

Garage

Taking my car and the videos to the mechanic this afternoon after work. Wish me luck and pray the mechanic isn't deaf to the high pitched decibel the chirp is at
Zapps98 likes this.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:31 PM   #9

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerfworthy View Post
Taking my car and the videos to the mechanic this afternoon after work. Wish me luck and pray the mechanic isn't deaf to the high pitched decibel the chirp is at

Good luck! Let us know what they say, if anything!
nerfworthy likes this.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:32 PM   #10

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espysonic View Post
This is gonna sound really crazy guys, but I had a similar noise problem, and I swore up and down it was AC related because at idle with the fan off, I wouldnít hear it, but when I turned the fan on I got a crystal clear chirp, and I couldnít tell where... tore everything apart and cleaned my hoses, replaced the hvac and still was there... this is gonna sound dumb but... it was actually a loose spark plug causing the chirp, it had burned my coil pack as well, if youíre not checking for correct torqued plugs, and making sure your coil boots look fine, please start doing that every 5k miles or so. It takes 5 minutes flat, and you can do it when you change your oil. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iím definitely gonna check this! I didnít even think about that as a possibility
Espysonic likes this.