Go Back   Chevy Sonic Owners Forum > Chevrolet Sonic: General > General Discussion

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2018, 04:19 PM   #1

Default Upgrading for the Winter?

Hi everyone, Im Ed and im a new member and quite frankly, I have not an idea about cars. Anyway, I have a 2013 Chevy Sonic, the turbo version. I live in northern michigan now and we have to deal with terrible winters. Ive had my car for 2 years now. I got it at 11k miles basically brand new. Im at 25k and still have the stock tires

I need to mod my car to be liable for the winters. As of now I can barely get into my driveway because it is not paved and pot holes put mt car at an odd angle. My main concern is that the car sits so low that the car itself gets stuck on the snow if im on a bad angle.

I dont know if its just the front bumper because it scoops so low, or if its the car itself. But I want to somehow gain height off the ground. Starting with bigger wheels? Im a complete noob and could really use some advise. Im paying to own so i want to do everything i can to make my car last its lifetime.

What should I do? What kind of tires? How can I raise it without effecting performance? If bigger tires what size?

I appreciate your time and input. Thank you.
FearNoEvil56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:01 PM   #2

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearNoEvil56 View Post
Hi everyone, Im Ed and im a new member and quite frankly, I have not an idea about cars. Anyway, I have a 2013 Chevy Sonic, the turbo version. I live in northern michigan now and we have to deal with terrible winters. Ive had my car for 2 years now. I got it at 11k miles basically brand new. Im at 25k and still have the stock tires

I need to mod my car to be liable for the winters. As of now I can barely get into my driveway because it is not paved and pot holes put mt car at an odd angle. My main concern is that the car sits so low that the car itself gets stuck on the snow if im on a bad angle.

I dont know if its just the front bumper because it scoops so low, or if its the car itself. But I want to somehow gain height off the ground. Starting with bigger wheels? Im a complete noob and could really use some advise. Im paying to own so i want to do everything i can to make my car last its lifetime.

What should I do? What kind of tires? How can I raise it without effecting performance? If bigger tires what size?

I appreciate your time and input. Thank you.

FS - Lifted/Off-Road Setup for 2012+ Hatchback - MI
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...6&share_type=t

Read this thread, also, few free to stop into a tire shop and see what your options may be! Never hurts to ask

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tormach likes this.
Espysonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:07 PM   #3

Garage

Changing tire size will throw out the speedometer/odometer. Taller tires will make the speedo read slower than you're actually going.

There are options to fix this though with recalibration via engine tuning software or a number of aftermarket modules (yellowbox) that intercept the vehicle speed sensor and output an altered signal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n6DEYqVDEY

Last edited by Maddmatts; 01-02-2018 at 11:13 PM.
Maddmatts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:52 PM   #4

That is brilliant ha. Exactly what I am looking for! Thank you. Im just curous about the pros and cons? Im sure it will void my warranty as well..
Old 01-02-2018, 11:53 PM   #5

So will the tire size actually get me more height? Which would be more suitable? A body lift or a suspension lift?
Old 01-02-2018, 11:56 PM   #6

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearNoEvil56 View Post
So will the tire size actually get me more height? Which would be more suitable? A body lift or a suspension lift?

Suspension off of a Chevy trax, as well as a slightly larger tire is similar to that off road style sonic, I believe he has 33” tires on it which is massive ! Tire size will get you minimal height, you’d have to get tires 2” taller to make a single inch difference

Espysonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:41 PM   #7

Garage
Default Upgrading for the Winter?

The reason your having trouble in the snow is because the factory hankooks tires are terrible/damn near suicidal in snow and it's well documented.

You don't need to do a lift or start changing suspension or putting on oddball tire sizes. Just get yourself a set of snow tires and the car performs just fine.

Blue Moon Sonic, dannyg and sw2low like this.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:08 AM   #8

I really have no problems with my Sonic in the snow or with ride height. It does a wonderful job. I have removed the little rubber deflector at the bottom of the front bumper and installed a aluminium skid plate that offers slight piece of mind. All the rubber air dam did was make scary noises but really your not driving over any problems at all.

Other winter problems include slow engine warm up time, so some other users have tried to block some of the front grills on the car in the wintertime, the obviously bad all season tires. There is a Sonic in the Snow master Thread that you can read!
Old 01-04-2018, 03:50 AM   #9

Default How far North in MI?

I'm in Muskegon and I have three Sonics. The factory tires are USELESS in any snow at all. I replaced them with a set of Pacemark snows that I got on clearance at Sam's Club. Used them for three winters and they still have 9-10 32nds tread. Maybe they quit selling these because they were too good.

But, I got tired of changing tires all the time, so I have migrated all three cars over to the Pirelli P4 all seasons Plus tires that Sam's sells. Very good all season tire.

Right now I have the 4 snows in my garage, yours for $120. I also have a set of the factory Hankooks with only 5k miles on them that I would want a bit more for.
gnonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:39 PM   #10

Im in Petoskey and I just might take you up on those tires! I have stock which I believe are 15s? And yes they are completely trash in the snow -_- Do you stand by the Pirelli P4 all seasons? Id rather have all season that perform well in winter, simply due to the fact I have nowhere to store other tires.

As far as the front bumper being the issue, by far it is. I only have little under 5 inches of clearance from the ground. I bottom out alot.

What issues would you all expect if I were to lift the suspension? Its something in really interested in.