Go Back   Chevy Sonic Owners Forum > Chevy Sonic: Technical > Handling, Braking and Suspension Discussion

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 05:19 AM   #1

Default The Traction Control/Stability Control Nanny thread

I have noticed that on my especially fun corners that even with the "nanny" completely disabled, it will still kick in (just at a much reduced factor, and at the extreme levels of shennanigans - SC light flashes, minor power reduction).

Has anyone else noticed the same?

I know there are plenty of bitch threads about the Sonic nanny, but - I think we have it better than most, regardless it does not seem like it is completely disabled when you use the factory button to shut it off.

Check out what Golf R drivers get to live with if they even think of taking it to the track -

Volkswagen Golf R vs Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR! - Head 2 Head Episode 5 - YouTube

At least Chevy didn't hose us that bad.

-E
1981 Scirocco S (TDI swap and full restore in progress)
1988 Scirocco 16v (Soon to be 1.8T powered)
1994 F150 4x4 (winter beater)
2013 Volt Premium Topaz Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsmith View Post
I die a little inside every time I see an LTZ with no Turbo badge, what were they thinking!
SciroccoTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:27 AM   #2

Garage

I consider the nannies way overly aggresive on this car. And have noticed what your talking about many times.

I pulled the abs fuse, problem solved only lost ABS which I'm fine with till snowfall.

I still can't logically comprehend why we can't fully disable the system, seems absurd to me its only a fair powered fwd car.
Llia likes this.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sx sonic View Post
I consider the nannies way overly aggresive on this car. And have noticed what your talking about many times.

I pulled the abs fuse, problem solved only lost ABS which I'm fine with till snowfall.

I still can't logically comprehend why we can't fully disable the system, seems absurd to me its only a fair powered fwd car.
I concur that the stock SC/TC is extremely too aggressive when its on, but I don't want to lose the ABS. While I know that a vehicle can stop shorter on ice using locked brakes, its just not worth the down sides of dry/wet/packed snowy conditions of shorter stopping distances for me to disable it completely.

Ref - http://www.smedayton.org/downloads/R...S%20Brakes.pdf

Regardless, my main point of this thread was, have others seen that SC/TC will still kick in (with massively reduced effect) when it has been disabled via the factory button?

Regards,

-E
1981 Scirocco S (TDI swap and full restore in progress)
1988 Scirocco 16v (Soon to be 1.8T powered)
1994 F150 4x4 (winter beater)
2013 Volt Premium Topaz Silver

Quote:
I die a little inside every time I see an LTZ with no Turbo badge, what were they thinking!
SciroccoTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:51 AM   #4
The M32 Martyr

I put the fuse back in once after months of no fuse, just to remind me what it was like. Even on button disable mode, I felt it kick in within a few block from the house and the fuse came back out.

Also, when I took mine to the dealer to get the shifter cables adjusted, I forgot to put the fuse back in. The service tech asked me if I was aware that my ABS,SC,TC wasn't functioning. I told him I took the fuse out because I hate it, and he didn't seem to find fault with that motive. No sirens went off. No lights flashed and they didn't stamp a big denied on my warranty.
Llia likes this.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
Enforcer

Garage

I don't have any issues with it cutting when I fully disable it. The video of me at the track where I spin through first and second was with it disabled, with my fuse intact.

-Eric Smit

2012 Sonic Build Thread

2017 Cruze Hatch Build Thread

If you were curious, this is where I buy all of my parts.

I work for a Chevy dealership. If you have any issues with the forum or a question for me, about the forum or otherwise, feel free to email or text me for a quicker response:

248-882-0883 | ESmit@feldmanauto.com
Eric Smit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:50 PM   #6
242hp/252 ft-lbs BNR EFI

Garage

I'm still waiting for the DIY post showing how to add a disable switch to the ABS fuse line.
But I can't say that I notice TC/SC kicking in when disabled. My main reason for wanting a better switch would be to not have to wait 10 seconds for full disable. But if (as far as I know we don't have an answer on this yet either) the ABS switch doesn't allow me to turn the system back on while running, I probably won't put it in. I like the nannies being there except when I'm really really paying attention.
Shaguardriver likes this.
Swordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:54 PM   #7
The Sticker Guy

Garage

I had one on my ranger... dident really look at what the fuze controlled other then abs .... put my truck in limp mode lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

interested in AMSOIL?
http://www.snailwerksracing.com/amsoil.html

I get all my parts from Bad News Racing- Click their logo to check them out!

$ub$onic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:54 PM   #8

Garage

I replaced my ABS fuse while the car was running and it came right back on, I would assume the switch would do the same thing.
ThatTmoGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciroccoTDI View Post
have others seen that SC/TC will still kick in (with massively reduced effect) when it has been disabled via the factory button?
Yes.

Man-shift into second and the stabilitrack light flashes even with the system "fully disabled".
SciroccoTDI likes this.
Opticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:26 PM   #10
The M32 Martyr

Quote:
I'm still waiting for the DIY post showing how to add a disable switch to the ABS fuse line.
But I can't say that I notice TC/SC kicking in when disabled. My main reason for wanting a better switch would be to not have to wait 10 seconds for full disable. But if (as far as I know we don't have an answer on this yet either) the ABS switch doesn't allow me to turn the system back on while running, I probably won't put it in. I like the nannies being there except when I'm really really paying attention.
I posted an elementary drawing of the wiring schematic in the ABS Fuse thread.