Go Back   Chevy Sonic Owners Forum > Chevy Sonic: Technical > Interior and ICE Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2013, 03:01 PM   #1

Garage
Default How to install a CD Player w/ MyLink?

I have the MyLink head unit.... and I'd also like to have rear speakers and a CD player in there. I read the installation of rear speakers on another post, however can't find using a search anything about getting a CD player installed onto the MyLink.

Anyone done this?
Old 12-16-2013, 04:56 PM   #2

Garage
Default Possible solution, we'll see

I found a bluetooth tranmitter, reasonably priced. gonne try that and see if the Mylink will pair up with it. If it works this will be infinetely easier than tearing the dash apart.

Bluetooth A2DP 3.5mm Stereo Audio Dongle Adapter Transmitter
Old 12-16-2013, 07:50 PM   #3

Garage

That or use the same threads without mylink. Use www. Metraonline.com to search for your parts. Than use any radio you like.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:37 PM   #4

OK, I'll bite.

"Why?"

There are umpteen million different free CD-rippers available online from reputable sources. You can get a 16GB Micro Attache drive for $15 from Best Buy (probably cheaper elsewhere) and store hundreds of discs on it. For a few bucks and some of your time, you can leave a huge library attached 24/7 in your glovebox, with no modification to the audio system, no increased risk of break-in, no loss of MyLink functionality, etc.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:15 PM   #5

Garage

Yeah, well, my stereo isn't... modern.

While I am very computer savy, however I am one of those guys that plays no games on my home desktop, and when I listen to music, I turn on my great stereo. There's no digital interface to it, everything is -albeit has some age- of excellent audiophile quality. Simply put, my stereo components are the best, and I have simply no need to get a digital "upgrade" at this time. I have not converted any of my 2000+ albums to digital means at all, and have converted about 1/2 of them to CD off the reel-to-reel and cassette and record player.

If I realized that the Mylink system didn't have a cable input to the system for a CD player, I simply would not have gotton it when I bought the car. I figured that I could interface an extra CD player mounted in the dashbox and go on... however this has proven to be labor intensive.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:33 PM   #6

Garage

If that is the reason you want to add a CD player why not just get the Bluetooth transmitter mentioned above and just plug it into a cheap personal CD player and problem solved with no need to rip the car apart for a new head unit??
Old 12-17-2013, 02:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthFLSonic View Post
If that is the reason you want to add a CD player why not just get the Bluetooth transmitter mentioned above and just plug it into a cheap personal CD player and problem solved with no need to rip the car apart for a new head unit??
If you go that route...why not just save the money and use a male/male 3.5mm cable to the aux input?
PlayCrackTheSky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayCrackTheSky View Post
If you go that route...why not just save the money and use a male/male 3.5mm cable to the aux input?
+1
Jarrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:26 PM   #9

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayCrackTheSky View Post
Thats what I was wondering. Just use the aux cable into a portable CD player. Unless he wants everything integrated. I know personally Id hate having all that mess to play around with. Id change out the Mylink then sell it..lol. But I dont use CDs so I wouldnt be in the situation..lol
Old 12-17-2013, 04:49 PM   #10

I know the MyLink supports WMA format. Does anyone know, or has anyone tried, to see if that includes the WMA lossless format? Because if so, the thumb drive/file conversion method is still valid, even for an audiophile.

Just a thought.