Go Back   Chevy Sonic Owners Forum > Chevy Sonic: Technical > Maintenance and Care

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2015, 03:17 PM   #1

Default Hatchback wiper arm rotted away

I'm sure I'm not the first person to post this:

My 2012 Sonic... the rear wiper fell off today. It's so corroded it just cracked and broke off. First I thought someone jacked up my car, but when I looked closely the whole thing was crumbling to the touch.

That kind of thing happens? What kind of plastic is used that it just corrodes in less than 4 years? The car isn't even paid off yet. And it's not like I live in Alaska or a jungle somewhere. We complain about the weather in southern Illinois but I would call it pretty average, non-corrosive.

Okay, so I'm getting ready to go to the dealer and price a whole new arm, but I'm sure the dealer is going to charge dealer prices, and again, the car isn't paid for yet.

So three questions:
1) Anyone else suffering this problem?
2) Anyone know where I can purchase a wiper arm for a 2012 Sonic hatchback at a reasonable price? Since the first one was clearly sub-par.
3) Anyone know how to keep this from happening again? Seems ridiculous that the entire rear wiper has a 3 1/2 year lifespan.
JSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSun View Post
What kind of plastic is used that it just corrodes in less than 4 years?
OK, the mods will come and tell you to post it in the actual forum and not the new member section.

But before then, do you mean that the plastic is breaking? i.e. it is Brittle. corrosion is a term that is relative to metals only.

Either way, you are right. That should not happen.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:38 PM   #3
mja

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmaris View Post
But before then, do you mean that the plastic is breaking? i.e. it is Brittle. corrosion is a term that is relative to metals only.
What? Plastics corrode, as do metals, and ceramics, my eyesight, my girlfriend's heart...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSun
So three questions:
1) Anyone else suffering this problem?
2) Anyone know where I can purchase a wiper arm for a 2012 Sonic hatchback at a reasonable price? Since the first one was clearly sub-par.
3) Anyone know how to keep this from happening again? Seems ridiculous that the entire rear wiper has a 3 1/2 year lifespan.
1) I tried removing my wiper once and a tab broke off on the wiper arm really easily, but it didn't crumble off.
2) Ebay, there's an OEM taken off a Sonic going for 20$ right now. Cheap new ones from 30$+. (rock auto is usually a good source for something like this, but they don't carry that part)
3) Yes - send the part to a custom billet manufacturing company and have them copy/make an aluminum one for 500$. Or could buy another stock one when/if it breaks, sounds like you just got a bad batch.

Last edited by mja; 09-23-2015 at 07:40 PM.
mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:43 PM   #4

PM if you want mine. First "mod" I did to the car I think. Wiper and and blade are like new.

Your problem sounds irregular. Can't imagine how it could be broken off. I'd like to see some pics.

Lots 'O Stuff
2014 Blue RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:54 PM   #5

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSun View Post
Do you leave your car outdoors all the time? Weather and sunlight are very hard on plastic trim, particularly flat black plastic which absorbs heat and dries out the oils in the plastic.
I agree that yours deteriorated rather quickly but if you want to preserve your new one, before installing it I suggest you coat it inside and out with tire foam or any commercial dressing made to preserve interior dash and trim. Then every couple months coat it again along with all the other black plastic trim and moldings on your car. None of it should ever deteriorate again except the wiper blades.
MORTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:07 PM   #6

Garage

I just bought a used '12 LTZ and the rear arm just broke off yesterday. I picked it up from northern Michigan (not the U.P.) and brought it to the Pacific Northwest. Yesterday morning we had our first real freeze overnight and I noticed my rear wiper was jacked up while getting gas in the after noon.

As near as I can tell, the salt from the roads causes some corrosion on the metal wiper post (this probably occurs so badly because of the vacuum created by the car at speed which is why the rear window gets so grimy in the first place). Then the freezing/thawing cycles, along with the corrosion and exposure, weakens the plastic. For me, it took one last freeze and the plastic broke in half.

This is a serious pain in the rear (pardon the pun) as it rains all the damn time in the PNW winters and my rear window is damn near useless five minutes into my commute.
DocS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:37 AM   #7
I Hates Rabbits!

Garage

Welcome to the family JSun!! PM me with your info and you can have mine. I deleted the rear wiper 2 years ago.

Here's a pic from around when I removed it.

2012 Summit White LT 1.4t 6M - tuned!
2013 Summit White RS 1.4t 6M - tuned!
2014 Black Granite LT 1.4t 6M - tuned!
Yosemite Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 12:08 PM   #8
Lead Foot

Garage

SKEDUSHE!
Others like it on eBay
2012 14 Chevy Sonic Rear Hatch Wiper Arm | eBay
Natesriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:56 PM   #9

Garage
Default $8 replacement

I picked up a wiper arm from an early model Ford Focus SE hatch that's a perfect fit. I put a 10" blade on it but I think it might work for up to a 12". Plus it's a standard J-hook design so the blades are like $10 a piece.
20160204_163244
DocS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 04:16 AM   #10

I've seen a few posts about this. Got a good if someone ever needs it.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Lots 'O Stuff
2014 Blue RS is offline   Reply With Quote