Go Back   Chevy Sonic Owners Forum > Chevy Sonic: Technical > Maintenance and Care

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2016, 02:18 AM   #1

Garage
Default rounded the oil drain plug

so i rounded off my oil drain plug. i used my 10mm socket and it went on just fine. but it was on there so tight and i tried my hardest but it rounded off. i blame the cheap socket i had. and i guess the tech must of used an air tool on it. (lol)

i found a tool to extract it, guess i will have to order a new plug. non of the local auto parts store had any.

ill see if i can fix this tomorrow.
sleepybird09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 04:00 AM   #2

Garage

Dealer torqued mine on..I measured 50 ft lbs..it's supposed to be 11.
RMinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 03:58 PM   #3

Garage

We had to deal with a rounded off oil drain plug thanks to a Wall Mart oil change.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:31 AM   #4
Lead Foot

Garage

Get vice grips!!! Put on the widest part of bolt up
near pan.... It'll work.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:53 PM   #5

Garage

I had this same issue when I went to change the oil a few thousand miles after I purchased my sonic. I gave up as I didn't want to completely f-up the oil plug so I took it to a local dealer. Explained that the dealer that sold me the car clearly over-tightened my oil plug and tried to get this chevy dealer just replace the oil plug. They decided to go ahead and replace the oil free of charge and only charge me for the drain plug, came to about $25 and change. Probably still made money! I made sure when I got home that I could get the plug loose with basic hand tools.

I've been changing oil in all my previous cars for about 10 years and I have never torqued the plug. As long as it is hand-tight, it's not going anywhere. I think the selling dealer were thinking that if we over-tighten it, the buyer will have no choice but to come back for oil service.
mightysonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:35 PM   #6
Lead Foot

Garage

That plug is a POS! 15 ft/lb max torque... I bought a new one for my next change. I'll never let the dealer change my again (they had to for a oil pan leak)

Who da fa would make a drain plug out of soft metal and 10mm?
Old 07-26-2016, 05:19 AM   #7

Garage

If a quality 6 point socket is used, and the plug isn't over torqued, the OEM drain plug will outlast the vehicle. I believe the theory behind the small 10mm head on the drain plug is that the hex will either round off or break off, instead of stripping the threads in the oil pan. Thus the drain plug is a sacrificial component. Because the sealing component of the drain plug is an O-ring, excessive torque isn't necessary.
Mad Trapper likes this.
2009 Silverado 5.3 LT 4x4 ext. cab
2004 Pontiac GTO 5.7 LS1 6-sp. manual
Papasonic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:20 PM   #8

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natesriv View Post
That plug is a POS! 15 ft/lb max torque...
Cast into the bottom of my oil pan (2014 1.4T) it says 14 N*m with an arrow to even tell you the direction to turn it. 14 N*m is actually only 10.3 ft*lbs (or more correctly lb*ft) of torque.
Thesd45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:24 AM   #9

Garage

got my plug on wensday. ordered it from amazon $9. ill take it off tomorrow. i tried using vice grips but it was just stripping the bolt even more. decided it was best i left it there and use a proper tool for taking it off.

i was also thinking the same when i got down there i couldn't believe it was a 10mm.

after realizing the dealer had overtighten that i decided to check my wheels and sure enough it was so tight no way i would of been able to change my tire out on the road. i had to get me a metal pipe to get leverage and use alot of strenght to get the bolts loose.

that had actually happened to me once before. i had gotten a flat in the winter in my kia forte, i went to change my tire and could not get the tire off. so i just drove back 20miles on a completely flat tire. luckily it was ice/snowy so everyone was driving slow.

i dont think tire places use tq wrenches on wheels?
sleepybird09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:20 PM   #10

Garage

I found my tire place always uses correct torque. My dealer is the worst..no attention to detail...high volume..they tried to tell me something was wrong with my socket when I told them I could t get the plug off..they had done all oil changes..I actually showed them a picture of my torque wrench at 40 ft lbs and the bolt not moving...nope we didn't do that..your wrench must be wrong...
RMinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote