Go Back   Chevy Sonic Owners Forum > Chevy Sonic: Vendor Forum > Morgan Performance Fabrication

Like Tree287Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2014, 01:28 AM   #1
Supporting Vendor

Default Bypassing the the bypass valve solenoid.

Long term update:
I have noticed the amount of oil present in the charger tubes has been reduced DRAMATICALLY from doing this mod. Before doing this, I would have oil present all the way up to the throttle body and standing oil in the intercooler and lower charge pipes. I pulled the lower charge pipe off yesterday and noticed only a bit of oil around the rolled bead on the end of the tube. ZERO oil present in the tube itself. This is after a recent track day too.

The factory employs a solenoid to control the function of the bypass valve. This is a 3 port solenoid with one port connected to the intake manifold, one port connected to the bypass valve, and one port connected to a vacuum chamber located on the bottom of the intake runners. This chamber is fed a vacuum signal through a one-way valve also known as a check valve. This check valve ensures that the chamber never sees boost. In doing this, the ECM can utilize the stored vacuum in the chamber to open the bypass valve when it sees fit. The solenoid is also cycled during WOT. This keeps a portion of the boost signal from ever getting to the bypass valve which mean it leaks boost. Neither of these functions is conducive to performance.

Without getting into a boring-ass back story of how I arrived here, let me just explain what this mod does for performance.

The ECM can no longer open the BPV to reign in trq production.
When you put the pedal to the proverbial metal, you don't have to worry about some or all of your boost pressure being released because of conservative "torque management" protocols GM put in place.
The BPV gets 100% of the boost signal needed to ensure the valve stays shut.
This means that power is not "softened" because a portion of the pressure is leaking past the valve.
Power is now is now immediate, and consistent.

*PHOTOBUCKET IS NO LONGER FREE AND ALL THE IMAGES I WAS STORING THERE ARE NO LONGER AVAILABLE TO SHARE HERE.*

I will rectify this as soon as possible. There are diagrams in the thread that other have made for reference

Here is what's needed:
5/32" hose splice
5/32" vac. cap
3"-4" of 1/8" or 5/32" vac. hose
Either will work. 1/8" will take more effort to get on the intake manifold, but this also means less chance of it blowing off since the intake manifold fitting isn't barbed.

Here is what needs to be done to eliminate the ECM from raining on your performance parade...

BTW, you're going to focus all your attention on the passenger side of the intake manifold. Look for landmarks in the photos such as the alternator or the fuel rail to help you.

If anyone experiences anything weird or contrary to this post, please reply in this thread.
285wtq@4,700

Last edited by MPFab; 07-08-2017 at 04:36 PM.
MPFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:30 AM   #2
I Hates Rabbits!

Garage

Got it!!

2012 Summit White LT 1.4t 6M - tuned!
2013 Summit White RS 1.4t 6M - tuned!
2014 Black Granite LT 1.4t 6M - tuned!
Yosemite Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:57 AM   #3

Sweet!! I know what I'm doing tomorrow

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk
crazymind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:26 AM   #4

Subd for results
cndctrdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:38 AM   #5

Will this mod improve the feeling when at WOT, it seems like the car is being held back at times.
Hoody32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:46 AM   #6

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPFab View Post

These last few are a bit confusing. I'm hoping once i attempt this and i'm looking at it i will understand.
gasonright likes this.
Sonic_Boost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:51 AM   #7

Garage

Marking this so I can come back to it
law242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:55 AM   #8
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Boost View Post
These last few are a bit confusing. I'm hoping once i attempt this and i'm looking at it i will understand.
Could you elaborate? I've been all over this part of the car and this could have influenced how I wrote the directions. I was trying to make it very simple to follow, but it could easily be confusing for those of you who've never even looked at that part of the engine.
NewZJ and cndctrdj like this.
285wtq@4,700
MPFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:11 AM   #9

Garage

Nice write up and great find. This is a rather easy mod once you find the lines, takes about 10 mins if you know what to do, and do it my way.

Better yet is the results, after some cursory testing (roads have been bad lately)I've found this mod to make more power throughout the rev range. Sometimes it wasn't much but there were a number of points it was making upwards of 10hp over my other runs w/o this mod. Note that I still want to do some testing before officially stating its gains.

As an added bonus the BPV noise is more crisp, almost like a bark.

Also another option for plumbing this in, is to buy 3ft of 5/32" vacuum hose and run it from the vacuum fitting on the passenger side of the manifold to the BPV and plugging the 2 open lines (black/green line at manifold and old line to BPV).

This way is super easy and can be done without getting under the car or removing anything. I couldn't get the hose off the barb shown in pic 5 hence this method.
-Instead I took off the line shown in the last pic with a long screwdriver (it can be seen on the lower passenger side corner of the mani).
-I then hooked up my 5/32" vacuum line and ran it along the old line over the valve cover and to the BPV. The BPV barb is a size bigger but applying some lube and lots of wiggling will get the line on.
-Block off the open lines and call it a day.

Just another way to get this done.

Last edited by sx sonic; 01-19-2014 at 07:17 PM.
sx sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:12 AM   #10
I Don't Know

Garage

Looks good to me. I'm 1900 miles from my sonic but I've got a mental image of the area and have a good idea of what to do

The explanation of the system helps me understand what I'm doing, the pictures give me the visual of what to do.
Fantastic.
marshall50w likes this.

Last edited by NewZJ; 01-06-2014 at 03:15 AM.
NewZJ is offline   Reply With Quote