Go Back   Chevy Sonic Owners Forum > Chevrolet Sonic: Miscellanous > Motorsports Forum

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2016, 03:53 PM   #1

Cool Auto-crossed my LTZ

So while I'm building a 350Z to compete in STU I've gone ahead and done some slight modifications to my Sonic to run in HS so I can still get some seat time. I went to a local test n' tune this past weekend (first event of the season here in Alabama) and had a great time. Here's a run down of the modifications I've done:
  • DDM 5mm wheel spacers
  • DDM rear torsion bar
  • GM OEM crash bolts (~ -2.1 camber in front)
  • Extra stock LTZ 17" wheels with 215/45 RE71R tires
  • Shocks from an RS model

I know it was just a test n' tune but a lot of the fast locals were there. I ended up 1st in class (HS), 2nd PAX , and 13th RAW out of 60 participants.

Final, RAW, and PAX results can be seen here: Test N Tune February 20, 2016 | Autocross Scoring

Overall I had a blast and am looking forward to campaigning the car locally this season. I might even run it at the Match Tour later this year since it'll be held at the same site as this test n' tune.

I also bought SoloStorm and used it on my phone for this event. I got it Friday and just fumbled my way through it on Saturday. There are some calibrations I need to do for the TPS and some smoothing I need to take off to get actual data. I'll also be figuring out how to connect to my GoPro so that I can have better vid next time, this one is just cell phone video. Here's my quickest run from it:

https://youtu.be/etyHXru3GsU

A pic from the event where I got some 3 wheel motion:
Attached Thumbnails
Auto-crossed my LTZ-img_3968_small.jpg  
kevjam79, 4Flattires and LT-ZED like this.

Last edited by jledford; 02-23-2016 at 03:56 PM.
jledford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:26 PM   #2

Question: Why do they allow you to run with the windows open? Any event that I compete in (rally, rallycross) they enforce that all windows should be closed. Do you think it is just because we might get rocks flying around since we are not on pavement?
Old 02-23-2016, 09:22 PM   #3

Garage

Great write-up and video! I've been itching to get back into auto-x. Hard with a recent addition to the family.

I guess on a parking lot like that are you mainly in 2nd and 3rd? Assuming you have the 6MT. How are those RS Shocks compared to the stock LTZ's? Did you do any runs on your stock LTZ shocks?
mightysonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:04 PM   #4

Thanks!

Yes my car is a 6MT. That course was all 2nd gear. The open slalom towards the end of the course was the fastest part. If the car had more power 3rd might be an option but I was just getting close to 6k rpms in that section. There was an STR S2000 banging the rev limiter through there.

I didn't do any events on the stock shocks. They already had over 50k miles on them so that was my "justification" for getting the RS shocks. I think the RS firmed it up a bit but there is still a lot of roll. The DDM rear "bar" was a bigger improvement than the shocks.

Also there is no rule for up or down with SCCA auto-x. A lot of people think they have to be down but it's not actually in the rule book. I figure windows down is a lower center of gravity, lol.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:49 AM   #5

Another vid, from my GoPro this time. This is my 2nd quickest run at a 40.201. I forgot to start the GoPro on my quickest run above.

https://youtu.be/zNHP-ICPCVs
kevjam79 likes this.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:04 AM   #6

Garage

How do you like your Solo Storm setup?

.....drive it like you still owe the bank money
carsNskis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 06:44 AM   #7

What part of Bama you in bud?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rbrown1677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:01 PM   #8

I like SoloStorm so far, as I said I bought it Friday and tried to set it up on the fly on Saturday. I got it all working but there is some tweaking to be done. I believe I'll need a tablet of some sort to be able to really analyze the data between runs at a national type event with co-drivers.

Location below my name shows where I'm at in Alabama
carsNskis likes this.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:32 AM   #9

Default Totally Awsome

Very nice work, Sir Jerry. The telephone video was awsome too. Do you think the 1G+ lateral accelarations are true? I know an autocross is not a skid pad, but I would not expect a Sonic to pull more than one G.

2017 Autocross
The RS prepared (somewhat) for Street Mod Front Drive.
1. Wavetrac
2. Chevy perf. clutch
3. BNR tune
4. Ported intake
5. Eibach Pro spring kit
6. ZZP rear sway
7. ZZP Lower control arms
8. ZZP Lower trans mount
9. Hawk HP+ front pads

Photo by:
Jason Massey
www.jpmmedia.com
4Flattires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 01:45 AM   #10

RE71R tires are sticky and that was a good asphalt lot, so not sure if true sustained 1g is real but I would think peak might hit over 1g. I do think sustained low .9g's is possible. I was lifting the rear inside on just about everything but the slalom.
Shaguardriver likes this.