Go Back   Chevy Sonic Owners Forum > Chevrolet Sonic: Main > New Member Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2018, 09:30 AM   #1

Default Replacing the thermostat assembly 2015 sonic

I got the check engine light come on, when I checked it it said replace thermostat, I got a new ac delco unit from Amazon for $75, just to give a heads up, not an easy job, I would have taken it to a shop if I knew, need special tools, make sure you have a quick connect hose clamp removing tool, I broke a hose connected to thermostat housing that cost $50 at dealership, there is a YouTube video that make it look easy, lot of small details missing, hard to get part out, part comes with a rubber gasket missing, I think this part will fail in a lot of Sonics, specially in hot places like Florida, I donít know why they made it plastic
15RedSonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:54 PM   #2

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15RedSonic View Post
I got the check engine light come on, when I checked it it said replace thermostat, I got a new ac delco unit from Amazon for $75, just to give a heads up, not an easy job, I would have taken it to a shop if I knew, need special tools, make sure you have a quick connect hose clamp removing tool, I broke a hose connected to thermostat housing that cost $50 at dealership, there is a YouTube video that make it look easy, lot of small details missing, hard to get part out, part comes with a rubber gasket missing, I think this part will fail in a lot of Sonics, specially in hot places like Florida, I don’t know why they made it plastic

Depends if you have the 1.4L engine or the 1.8L. Here are instructions for the 1.8L. Two pages. The 1.4L has "water outlet" assembly that does look a bit more complicated.
Many also have said here on thr forum to get the thin rear connecting vacuum hose and one other hose since they get brittle with age. On Amazon and elsewhere for less.

Chevrolet Sonic Repair Manual: Engine Coolant Thermostat Replacement (LUW) - Thermostat - Engine Cooling - Engine - Powertrain

Chevrolet Sonic Repair Manual: Engine Coolant Thermostat Housing Installation - Thermostat - Engine Cooling - Engine - Powertrain

Last edited by JTee2017; 02-13-2018 at 12:56 PM.
JTee2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 01:24 PM   #3

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15RedSonic View Post
I got the check engine light come on, when I checked it it said replace thermostat, I got a new ac delco unit from Amazon for $75, just to give a heads up, not an easy job, I would have taken it to a shop if I knew, need special tools, make sure you have a quick connect hose clamp removing tool, I broke a hose connected to thermostat housing that cost $50 at dealership, there is a YouTube video that make it look easy, lot of small details missing, hard to get part out, part comes with a rubber gasket missing, I think this part will fail in a lot of Sonics, specially in hot places like Florida, I donít know why they made it plastic

Hello?

I've replied to a few of your posts.. . is always good to and least say hi and "Ok. I know that already", or even buzz off. .. lol

Otherwise, next time you have a question. . .. many times people will ignore you. It's also good to share the outcome, issues,etc of repairs, mods, etc.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:52 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply, I am using the site on a cell phone, still getting used to it, not sure how to use all features yet
15RedSonic is offline   Reply With Quote