pedders coilovers question

klystron

Banned
So I got a call saying my car was done and the coilovers were in. However, he said that the rears were not coilovers and were just a standard shock with a spring. Is this right? I thought the purpose of coilovers is to put the spring over the strut or shock. Could he have put them in wrong? I'm picking the car up tomorrow and need an explanation. Thanks.

ThatTmoGuy

klystron

Banned
in the rear they are separate.

the Derploader
B9ZLV.jpg

Thanks for the pic. I forgot to look at Preloader's thread lol. Stupid me. It has like 73 pages and I'm supposed to be working. :)

I don't know why they call them "coilovers" if they aren't, though. I guess the term "coilover" can be used to indicate something with a lot of adjustment.

firstorbit84

klystron

Banned
Wouldn't you also need independent rear suspension for a true rear coilover to be possible?

Are the rears height adjustable?

You adjust the height by changing the height of the shock. This will of course cause the spring to compress or collapse. If you adjust the height too far out of bounds the spring rate will be off.

I know some stuff... just not a lot of stuff! I depend on you all to teach me everything about suspensions so don't let me down. :)

Preloader

The M32 Martyr

klystron

Banned
The guy who put mine in did such a good job I went to have the alignment checked and it was dead on lol. The toe was off but the car came that way so it was adjusted. I love the COs. You will, too. The Sonic is a surprisingly solid and well built car. It really stiffens up and drives great. It's like a little go-kart. Compared to my old GTO it's just point-and-shoot.