Go Back   Chevy Sonic Owners Forum > Chevy Sonic: Technical > Transmission Discussion

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2013, 02:41 AM   #51

Garage

My very first manual car was a 1986 Civic Wagon. It was also carbed. This was back in 2000, I think.

Edit: A family friend gave me the car. My family didn't know anything about manuals or carbs. My friends weren't much help either. I had to learn fast with that car. Good times, good times. I miss it.

http://standardshift.com
ahtoxa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:44 AM   #52

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahtoxa View Post
My very first manual car was a 1986 Civic Wagon. It was also carbed. This was back in 2000, I think.

Edit: A family friend gave me the car. My family didn't know anything about manuals or carbs. My friends weren't much help either. I had to learn fast with that car. Good times, good times. I miss it.

When I was 7 my dad gave my a Suzuki DS-80. That was what I feel I learned to "drive stick" on. No stick obviously, but I learned to use a clutch and shift on it. A lot of people claimed he was going to kill me letting me ride that, I'm pretty sure they were wrong though.

2012 1LT 1.4 turbo 6M red metallic tintcoat Cruze.
ChrisJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:42 PM   #53

Garage

Update: I called GM a couple of times and told them what was going on and that I felt like I shouldn't have to pay for anything. The dealership finally called me and said that they could knock 75% of the bill off which would leave me paying $500. I wasn't really happy with this but need my car back (I work for Lyft part time and can't work unless I have my car) so I agreed to pay the $500. Went to pick up my car today and the center console wasn't completely put back together when I got in the car, the clutch fully engaged almost immediately (versus gradually through the full length of the pedal push), and I heard a rattle coming from the transmission.

After this I went back inside to tell the service representative. They put me right back in the loaner I had just dropped off and my car is back in the shop.....

www.CaseyReid.com
www.DoytFilms.com
thecasemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #54

Garage

Sounds like a dealer I've been to. I'd go in to fix one thing, but in the process of doing that, they neglect to put something back in, tighten something else all the way or align the the other related part. That results in going back a time or two and wasting time.

Frankly, my clutch pedal's creaking (well-documented here) is getting very loud and annoying but I don't want to take it in because I'm almost betting that I'll end up walking about of there with some sort of silly crap that you're experiencing.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

Almost forgot. If I were you, I'd be asking them to show you your bad parts that they removed. Ask them to see the clutch disk and plate that they must have replaced, of that's what the order says. Do it, take pictures of it and post here, please.

I am very curious about the condition of 'em.
cndctrdj likes this.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:10 PM   #55

Garage

Quote:

Almost forgot. If I were you, I'd be asking them to show you your bad parts that they removed. Ask them to see the clutch disk and plate that they must have replaced, of that's what the order says. Do it, take pictures of it and post here, please.

This.
$ub$onic, cndctrdj and xsonicLTZx like this.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:59 AM   #56

Garage

Quote:
Sounds like a dealer I've been to. I'd go in to fix one thing, but in the process of doing that, they neglect to put something back in, tighten something else all the way or align the the other related part. That results in going back a time or two and wasting time.

Frankly, my clutch pedal's creaking (well-documented here) is getting very loud and annoying but I don't want to take it in because I'm almost betting that I'll end up walking about of there with some sort of silly crap that you're experiencing.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

Me too, frankly I think it is BS. You would have to be the all time dumbest driver of all time to completely burn out a clutch in 27,000 miles.
Sorry but I think you have been sc#####.
thecasemaster likes this.
Victory Red
KartRacer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:49 AM   #57

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
Me too, frankly I think it is BS. You would have to be the all time dumbest driver of all time to completely burn out a clutch in 27,000 miles.
Sorry but I think you have been sc#####.
Sadly you are very wrong . I believe the all time worst goes to a corvette owner that fried his clutch in 2 feet (it's on you tube). There are many other cases of owners killing there clutches in low miles, seen a few in the shop myself.

Even got to witness a moron buy a 60k BMW with no manual trans experience and apparently Zero critical thinking skills leave the dealer. After 5 mins of trying to pull onto the main road and a little clutch smoke he revved the car to the moon and dumped the clutch and almost managed to hit oncoming traffic 4 lanes over. Not sure whatever became of the car but it was surely expensive.

Although in reality there's not that many schmucks on the road, just be careful when you use the word, "worst driver" lol
Old 12-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #58

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sx sonic View Post
Sadly you are very wrong . I believe the all time worst goes to a corvette owner that fried his clutch in 2 feet (it's on you tube). There are many other cases of owners killing there clutches in low miles, seen a few in the shop myself.

Talking about this guy?? WOW!!!!! Look at all the smoke from my burnout....... wait that doesn't smell like a burnout.......oh
corvette burnout gone bad - YouTube
sx sonic likes this.

Last edited by SouthFLSonic; 12-12-2013 at 06:13 PM.
SouthFLSonic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:36 PM   #59

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthFLSonic View Post
Talking about this guy?? WOW!!!!! Look at all the smoke from my burnout....... wait that doesn't smell like a burnout.......oh
corvette burnout gone bad - YouTube
That was painful to watch. The entire thing....

I'm sorry but no squealing........ no feeling of tires spinning and the fact something smells VERY FOWL should have been obvious.

Clutch and brakes smell very unique.

Ugh.
SouthFLSonic and Insanika like this.

2012 1LT 1.4 turbo 6M red metallic tintcoat Cruze.
ChrisJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #60

Garage

Yeah, there's no way a slipping clutch feels similar to spinning tires. The vibes are all wrong, in more ways than one. Granted, I have no experience with such clutch abuse.