Go Back   Chevy Sonic Owners Forum > Chevy Sonic: Technical > Transmission Discussion

Like Tree130Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #1

Garage
Default Second gear grinding & remedy

Two weeks ago got a sonic 1.4T with the 6 speed... When i accelerate fairly hard and pretty firmly shift 1-2 at about 5-6,000 RPM it slips past the syncors and kinds for about .5-1 seconds then goes into gear... Same RPM yet with allot more pressure on the 2-3 and 3-4 shifts and it will not grind..

Any one have this happen... I have felt this on older cars nut mine only has 1,000 miles....

Thank YOU for anyone that helps out yah or neh

CREDIT PRELOADER.

So, just to bring this thread back into alignment, we found long ago that if you do the shifter cable alignment via the bulletin posted waaaaaay back in this thread, and drain and refill your m32 with 2.5 qts of a heavier synthetic such as Redline GL 4 75w-90, or equivalent, the 2nd gear grind should be remedied.

Elissar likes this.

Last edited by Eric Smit; 09-18-2014 at 12:59 AM.
gsxr1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:27 PM   #2

Garage

Hasn't happened to me, but I'm not revving to 5k or 6 k rpm either. I bought the car for the mpg. If I wanted to speed around and slam shift, I would have kept my WRX.

Last edited by Sonic; 01-03-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:34 PM   #3

Garage

One of are other members had the same issue . He had to learn to shift it right . It told him a little while to get in sink with the way the tranny shifts it took him about a month and it a smooth out . I don't know if this helps but its all I remember .
Old 01-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #4

Garage

Sonic- i first noticed when i was pulling out in traffic on the feeder in front of cars going 60 mph.....
Yes i already adjusted my shifting style... it not my trans am lol... i just what to make sure it is not a flaw... thank again
gsxr1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #5

Garage

Not a flaw, just takes some breaking in and getting use to. I grinded a few times myself on the 1-2 upshift, but it has gone away.
wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:15 PM   #6
Enforcer

Garage

I had it too, and then it just went away. Those subtle changes you make on your shift style make a world of difference.
Eric Smit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric.Smit View Post
I had it too, and then it just went away. Those subtle changes you make on your shift style make a world of difference.
Aint that the truth!

I had an older car which no one else could shift.
The car shifted easy for me, but I "grew" along with the transmission's idiosyncrasies.
I was completely unaware that I was doing anything unusual to shift or that another driver would have trouble.
I didn't discover this until I was trying to sell the car!

This was a '72 Fiat 128 - I really don't think a mainstream modern car transmission would stray that far from normal.
Fiats have a reputation for being problematic. They would do stuff like use 3 different starter motors for the same year & model - I push started this car for 5 months through college while the parts dealer used trial and error to get the right one shipped over from Italy!
Despite all of the crap, it was a fun car, but it would have been horrible if I needed it as a reliable daily commuter!

Please pardon the digression...

Other car:
2010 Jetta TDI
Sonic Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:59 PM   #8

Garage

Push started?!?!? Sorry man, but that is funny!
Sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
Push started?!?!? Sorry man, but that is funny!
No need to apologize, it was great fun, the car became comically personified amongst my friends and neighbors. I guess I had the right attitude.
Happily, I was in a hilly area, so usually I could simply get in, start rolling down a hill and pop the clutch in 2nd.
Disappointingly, the campus police were not very understanding the one time I parked it illegally next to a dorm to have an easy start.
But like I said, the main factor was not really needing the car. I lived on campus and would use it maybe once a week-end. My roommates had cars I could borrow in a pinch. It would be an intolerable POS car for normal adult life!
BoG233 and JamesMay like this.

Other car:
2010 Jetta TDI
Sonic Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:30 PM   #10

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoG233 View Post
One of are other members had the same issue . He had to learn to shift it right . It told him a little while to get in sink with the way the tranny shifts it took him about a month and it a smooth out . I don't know if this helps but its all I remember .
That was me, guilty as charged. I was having a few issues:

fresh back injury
not able to always fully press the clutch down
big foot hitting the dead pedal while shifting

I can happily report that I've repaired the loose nut behind the steering wheel problem, but I still don't like how 2nd and 3rd engage. Sometimes they are stubborn and clunk into place. This could be normal, as I have nothing to compare it to.
BoG233 and Larry like this.
ZZP DP-back w/muffler, cat#2 delete, and 2 resonators
Enkei RSF-5 hyper silver 17x7.5, General Gmax 235/45's, DDM spacers
Eibach springs, ZZP rear sway bar, Cobalt links, Powerstop brakes
K&N Typhoon intake, DDM hardpipe and silicone charge hoses
wasteoffilm is offline   Reply With Quote