Go Back   Chevy Sonic Owners Forum > Chevy Sonic: Technical > Transmission Discussion

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2016, 02:42 PM   #251
Lead Foot

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fry View Post
About a week ago, my 2012 1.4L 6MT Sonic started this whining sound. It's not very loud yet. My dad couldn't hear it over the road noise and wind, but I can tell its there. It is noticeable starting around 45 mph, and increases with speed. Between 60 and 70 mph is when you can hear it most often.

I'm debating on when to take it into the dealer. I have a break week in school in a month, so it'd be easy to schedule then. Is there any more harm in waiting to take it in a bit longer? I'm also concerned that the tech won't be able to hear it as well as me, so waiting may make the whining more noticeable.

Also, are there any ways of checking to see that this is the transmission and not some wheel bearing or such?
Do you have a hatch?
Natesriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:45 AM   #252

Well this thread makes me sad...

I have this bearing whine in 3rd and 4th gear, with the shifter moving an inch or so under load. unfortunately I do not have a warranty, as its at 126k miles. Anyone have an idea how much a new MZ4 would run me?
KyleRally789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 01:17 PM   #253
Lead Foot

Garage

there's a difference between whine and failure. I've had a 4th gear whine for a long time, no issues...

I do plan to have the fluid changed and replaced with a better than OEM product at some point though, and have it topped off.

That might help some issues here perhaps...
Old 02-25-2016, 06:24 PM   #254

Yeah I figure I'll be able to run it for awhile, probably leading up and through the first rally or two, but it is something I'll likely need to replace if I'm going to be loading that transmission through 150 miles of racetime.

I also just dont like my shifter knob moving with acceleration, I was hoping I could fix that with urethane bushings though.
kevjam79 likes this.
KyleRally789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:16 PM   #255
Lead Foot

Garage

the shifter bushings tighten it some, but I'm not sure they help in accel. That might be more an engine mount thing (i'm thinking of getting the lower mount myself)
kevjam79 likes this.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:13 AM   #256
Fry

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natesriv View Post
Do you have a hatch?
Sorry for the delayed response, but yes, I have a hatch.

That seems so random. Why do you ask?

Also, I postponed my appointment for now until I have some days scheduled off at work. I did have a mechanic look at it, though. He said the noise was definitely the transmission, but he thought it was a normal sound and suspected the dealer wouldn't do much about it. I almost thought he wouldn't hear it because the warm weather has made it less noticeable.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:53 PM   #257

Default Add me to the list.

As stated in the title. Mine has a new tranny at 43,000miles, but it has whining for a while. My independent mechanic was absolutely certain it was the tranny when I took it in to be inspected. I have a month and a half left on my 5 year powertrain warranty. Props to my mechanic.

On a further positive note, Lawrence chevy was very accommodating about replacing it. I even got to drive a new cruze hatchback for a day. They replaced it very quickly. Didn't like the cruze.
wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:37 AM   #258

Default 2012 Sonic, 6 Speed Manual Transmission Whine

I purchased a 2012 Chevy Sonic, 1.4L Turbo, with a 6 speed manual transmission in March 2012.

In 2016 I began to hear a whining/hissing noise from the front end of the car while driving at 40 mph and above, regardless of what gear the car is in, with the clutch pedal in or out, and even while coasting in neutral. The noise seems more pronounced at cooler outdoor temperatures.

I took the car to two different Chevy dealerships, in November 2016 (@ 37,291 mi) and in December 2016 (@ 37,863 mi). Both dealerships drove the car but were "unable to duplicate the concern". In October 2017 (@ 43,485 mi), while at the dealership to replace a defective water pump, I had them check for the source of the noise yet again. This time they noted, "transmission is making making noise, would need to tear down to further pinpoint failure, need further diagnosis".

Although the car was within the drive-train warranty period the first two times I brought the car to the dealerships, it was outside the warranty period the third time, when they isolated the noise to the transmission. The dealership stated I could contact "Chevrolet Customer Assistance" to possibly get help covering the cost of a repair.

The "Senior Adviser" from customer assistance informed me that my request for repair coverage was denied, because the car was currently outside the warranty period and because the dealerships were unable to confirm the noise during my first two appointments (although he acknowledged the car was within the warranty period during that time frame). The rationale for denying repair coverage does not make sense, because on all three occasions I brought the car to Chevy to address the exact same noise issue.

Note that this car has not been modified. It has been driven less than 8000 miles per year for mostly highway commuting. I am experienced at driving a manual transmission, having previously owned cars with manual transmissions.

As you might imagine, I am dissatisfied with GM over this whole experience. Not sure what to do...just keep driving it the way it is and see if it gets worse?

Last edited by CharlieSierra; 10-12-2017 at 04:53 AM.
CharlieSierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:09 PM   #259

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieSierra View Post
I purchased a 2012 Chevy Sonic, 1.4L Turbo, with a 6 speed manual transmission in March 2012.

In 2016 I began to hear a whining/hissing noise from the front end of the car while driving at 40 mph and above, regardless of what gear the car is in, with the clutch pedal in or out, and even while coasting in neutral. The noise seems more pronounced at cooler outdoor temperatures.

I took the car to two different Chevy dealerships, in November 2016 (@ 37,291 mi) and in December 2016 (@ 37,863 mi). Both dealerships drove the car but were "unable to duplicate the concern". In October 2017 (@ 43,485 mi), while at the dealership to replace a defective water pump, I had them check for the source of the noise yet again. This time they noted, "transmission is making making noise, would need to tear down to further pinpoint failure, need further diagnosis".

Although the car was within the drive-train warranty period the first two times I brought the car to the dealerships, it was outside the warranty period the third time, when they isolated the noise to the transmission. The dealership stated I could contact "Chevrolet Customer Assistance" to possibly get help covering the cost of a repair.

The "Senior Adviser" from customer assistance informed me that my request for repair coverage was denied, because the car was currently outside the warranty period and because the dealerships were unable to confirm the noise during my first two appointments (although he acknowledged the car was within the warranty period during that time frame). The rationale for denying repair coverage does not make sense, because on all three occasions I brought the car to Chevy to address the exact same noise issue.

Note that this car has not been modified. It has been driven less than 8000 miles per year for mostly highway commuting. I am experienced at driving a manual transmission, having previously owned cars with manual transmissions.

As you might imagine, I am dissatisfied with GM over this whole experience. Not sure what to do...just keep driving it the way it is and see if it gets worse?
Well, you might have a bad throwout bearing. If it is an entirely failed transmission you can do as I have. I bought a transmission from a local yard. It has to be 2013.5+, that's when they revised the oil channels. I DIY'd the replacement. It's actually pretty easy, time consuming, but easy. A local shop shouldn't quote you too bad. I'd also suggest getting a new clutch since you're down there anyways. Total cost of the whole swap, new clutch, etc, should run you around $1000. Its a big chunk of change but worth it if you keep it in the long run.
skurtov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:12 PM   #260

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleRally789 View Post
Well this thread makes me sad...

I have this bearing whine in 3rd and 4th gear, with the shifter moving an inch or so under load. unfortunately I do not have a warranty, as its at 126k miles. Anyone have an idea how much a new MZ4 would run me?
I paid $300 for mine, it was pulled from a 2014 with 53k miles, don't buy anything older than 2013, they revised the transmission that year. If to be safe, stick to 2014+. The national junkyards have a database they all buy into. Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market
KyleRally789 likes this.
skurtov is offline   Reply With Quote