Go Back   Chevy Sonic Owners Forum > Chevy Sonic: Technical > Maintenance and Care

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2017, 03:54 AM   #31

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
I buy K&N direct from K&N, cheaper and free freight. I buy 6 at a time for my RS and my wife's Encore.
I just ordered two from them. Do they give you a sticker too? I just want a mini one.
Llia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:08 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llia View Post
I'm now worried I installed a UFI filter into a HENGST housing. I really hope it's not causing all my oil to bypass the filter. it's already been driven a few 2000+ miles. I also hope it didn't break my factory filter housing bypass valve. my oil looks too clean to be as used as it is.
What year and engine size is it? On my 2012 1.8L, there is only one AC Delco part # (PF2257G off the top of my head) and the oil filter housing cap is a Hengst. So is the Delco filter, Hengst makes it for GM/Delco.

The Hengst has a "solid" hex where you would put a socket to loosen the housing. I use a regular 24mm depth Craftsman socket on a 1/2" ratchet to remove and install the filter housing. Lisle also makes "low profile" sockets which work too (but aren't necessary with the Sonic 1.8L). On my nephew's 2010 Malibu 2.4L Ecotec, I have to use the Lisle socket to service the filter because a regular socket won't clear. The kit was pretty cheap---I think I paid $25 with shipping on Ebay for the five piece Lisle set.
Ponchoguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:09 AM   #33

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponchoguy View Post
What year and engine size is it? On my 2012 1.8L, there is only one AC Delco part # (PF2257G off the top of my head) and the oil filter housing cap is a Hengst. So is the Delco filter, Hengst makes it for GM/Delco.

The Hengst has a "solid" hex where you would put a socket to loosen the housing. I use a regular 24mm depth Craftsman socket on a 1/2" ratchet to remove and install the filter housing. Lisle also makes "low profile" sockets which work too (but aren't necessary with the Sonic 1.8L). On my nephew's 2010 Malibu 2.4L Ecotec, I have to use the Lisle socket to service the filter because a regular socket won't clear. The kit was pretty cheap---I think I paid $25 with shipping on Ebay for the five piece Lisle set.
HENGST VS UFI FILTERS

My bad. It was a WIX redesign of the Hengst Filter. Their free floating bypass made it look like I had a UFI filter.

WIX REDESIGN

The image below covers all brands for the 1.4L Hengst filter.

Attached Thumbnails
Oil filter brand?-img_20170715_225231_017.jpg  

Last edited by Llia; 07-16-2017 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:12 PM   #34

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by murat View Post

This is my stock oil filter cap. I thought the service put non-original oil filter. I've asked them and they said it is a cap that comes from factory with it. They showed the box of the filter they put in. That was original GM:
I don't know why there is a UFI filter brand on my original oil filter cap?
does the side of the aluminum casing that the cap goes into say UFI or HENGST?
Old 12-01-2017, 05:41 PM   #35

Garage

here's an eye opener . . .

My 2017 Coloraod truck with the 3.6L LGZ V6 engine uses the same Hengst filter housing and AC Delco #PF2257G oil filter.

They use the same size filter on double the 1.8L engine size ? ? ?
Old 12-03-2017, 03:56 AM   #36

N/A engines don't really chew through oil that bad. Lots of LS engines only use a tiny screw on filter. The 1.8 sharing with the 1.4 is probably just a cost saving measure
skurtov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 04:03 AM   #37

Garage

huh . . . .?

Are you responding to a particular post? If so not sure which one.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:16 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTee2017 View Post
huh . . . .?

Are you responding to a particular post? If so not sure which one.
Your post remarking that a larger engine uses the same oil filter. I'm saying that even V8 LS Chevy's use a relatively small filter. Technically the 1.8 filter is probably over sized for its application. The 1.4T is probably suitable since turbos tend to chew through oil since the motor oil also lubricates the turbo. But your V6, N/A's don't chew through oil that bad so a bigger filter element is not really necessary.
JTee2017 likes this.
skurtov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 03:54 AM   #39

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by skurtov View Post
Your post remarking that a larger engine uses the same oil filter. I'm saying that even V8 LS Chevy's use a relatively small filter. Technically the 1.8 filter is probably over sized for its application. The 1.4T is probably suitable since turbos tend to chew through oil since the motor oil also lubricates the turbo. But your V6, N/A's don't chew through oil that bad so a bigger filter element is not really necessary.

Makes sense. That said, the amount of filter media sure has shrunk.

I think the use of the filter in the 1.8L is probably just a cost saving measure by using common parts. And, for sure, the 1.4L turbo would stress the oil more and probably produce more contaminants in the oil.