Go Back   Chevy Sonic Owners Forum > Chevrolet Sonic: News > News, Rumors, and Updates

View Poll Results: How many more years will the Sonic be produced?
3 22 17.19%
4 24 18.75%
5 16 12.50%
6+ 66 51.56%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2013, 11:39 PM   #1

Garage
Default How many more production years does the Sonic have?

Does anyone with insider information know? Or does anyone want to take a guess?
Sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:45 PM   #2

Garage

I think it will be a round for a while. It's a huge leap forward from the Aveo.
$ub$onic and Midtown_Guy like this.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:54 PM   #3

Garage

Well, it will most likely be around for 6 or more years. Usual age for a generation is what, about 4? So it is likely that the Sonic will do 2 or more generations, considering current success.

Unless you meant the current generation only.

http://standardshift.com
ahtoxa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:25 AM   #4

Usual age age 3 to 6 years. Refreshing at the fourth year will last thru six.

Biggest exception to prove the rule: Corvette which can go for almost a decade for an iteration.

Not an answer as I suspect not even GM knows if it will keep the Sonic name. By the way, the Cavalier carried the letter J in the fourth spot in the VIN, which spot specifies the vehicle line. Example: Corvette has a [I]Y [/I ]in that spot and Firebirds in the past and Camaros in the present use the letter F in that spot.

So: does the question originally posed refer to SONIC or does it refer to vehicle line? Clearly there is a difference between a fourth generation CAMARO and a fifth generation yet both have F in the fourth spot of the VIN.

Clearly what we have here is a Clintonian "that depends on what 'is" means question.

Yes, among my favorites.

Laborsmith

Twelve years. Not based on anything.
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:42 AM   #5

Garage

I think he's referring to the Sonic name since the Sonic is just a updated and rebadged Aveo for the US market. Even with all the improvements the "Sonic" brought, I think it would have been a hard sale to keep the Aveo name in this market and it may have not seen the success it has. But, no one will ever know now.
TMac likes this.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #6

I feel this is the First small car that GM has brought to the US market where the Name will be carried on for several generations, in the past the created such one hit gems as, The Vega, The Chevette, The Metro and The Aveo. None of these cars really had a positive buzz about them, so there was no desire for the names to carry forward. If Chevy keeps the Sonic Quality and Value going there is no reason for them not to want continue using the Sonic name...
Old 12-15-2013, 05:43 PM   #7

Garage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus View Post
I feel this is the First small car that GM has brought to the US market where the Name will be carried on for several generations, in the past the created such one hit gems as, The Vega, The Chevette, The Metro and The Aveo. None of these cars really had a positive buzz about them, so there was no desire for the names to carry forward. If Chevy keeps the Sonic Quality and Value going there is no reason for them not to want continue using the Sonic name...
Don't forget the Nova! (The crappy import one)
And who didn't like the Chevette? That was part Chevelle part Corvette, right?
BoG233 likes this.
ss2000slp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 07:38 PM   #8
Lead Foot

Garage

If Chevy is smart, they'd take a page from Honda and Toyota and keep the name Sonic (and maybe Cruze) and make improvements. And build upon that. The Civic and Corolla names are well established and have made $$$$ for both companies.

Keep making yearly improvements, then with each new generation raise the bar even more.... make the Sonic name the first name which comes to mind when people think sporty small car..
BoG233, TMac, ss2000slp and 2 others like this.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:40 PM   #9
also a dinner prick

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by laborsmith View Post
Usual age age 3 to 6 years. Refreshing at the fourth year will last thru six.

Biggest exception to prove the rule: Corvette which can go for almost a decade for an iteration.

Third generation Cavalier went from 1995-2005. Minor facelift in 2000 and again in 2003. They switched to the Cobalt name and after one generation switched to Cruze. The Cobalt and Cruze occupy the same market the Cavalier did, and are the same basic chassis design.

If the Sonic continues to sell well it will be around for a while with the same name. If sales fall off it will get a new name at the beginning of the next product cycle.
Who would have thought that my V6 truck would be my quickest vehicle?
mitdr774 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:13 AM   #10

I did not realize the third gen J-Body lasted that long, although the 2005 model year Cavalier stopped production at the end of 2004, if memory serves.

The Cavalier, the Cobalt and now the Cruze all are assembled at the Lordstown Ohio Plant and all are compact cars.

I wonder what GM considers selling well. It looks like GM is looking at 80K Sonics a year which is a low number for a mass market production. I for one am hoping the Sonic will maintain those numbers so it will have several generations.

Laborsmith
Grandpa Hedge Hog likes this.
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote